Adding wires inside for sub in boot

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunch1980

Is there an easy or best route for wires to go from battery and head unit to boot are for an amp and sub?
I will have a thick red power wire from positive on battery, an RCA interconnect and remote trigger lead from the head unit.

For power wire I guess will be best to come through a grommet on passengers side then down behind glove box and under carpets down centre tunnel to rear seats under? Same from behind unit under is this all easy to remove?

Or is it just a case of try and see lol?

Make sure you seal the grommet up afterwards as the ECU is on the passenger's side and water can get down there, which would not do it any good. El Dude will almost certainly be along shortly with more tips. He routed my cable behind the glovebox (cable tied in place) and then down the centre channel - had to gaffer tape it to a bit of coathanger made into a hook to pull it through.

It's a bit of a faff.

You want to avoid having your speaker cable and power cable running along the same path or you get hum, apparently - so you might want to run your speaker cable down the passenger side of the car.

That said, I'm fairly sure I have speaker cable, interconnects running from the head unit to a Genesis amp mounted in the boot, and the power lead all running down the centre and I have no hum issues.

You can use one of these, they're a bit safer than just putting the cable through a hole, and you can caulk it so its waterproof:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/terminals-connectors/longacre-battery-through-panel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just seal up the grommet,as said,but ive run speaker,power and remote wire down the same side and never had any hum,even on the omega i have done it,infact every install ive done over the past 20yrs ive never had any hum, :eek:k:
just remember to keep the earth as short as possible and connected to a good earthing point :eek:k:

Dal did the same thing on both his Puma and mine: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I miss having good sound. :(

Cherie said:
Dal did the same thing on both his Puma and mine: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I miss having good sound. :(

Thanks good info there, put my amp in boot though I think still. I love that sub box, but already have a standard 12" box was in my classic mini, sounded just awesome, the puma has pretty good standard rear speakers, but with sub can get really loowwww lol!

I am only amping sub so will have no power and signal wires crossing hopefully down centre of car.

Got it all in, ran + wire and rca, and remote trigger wire all down, passenger side by door seal seemed to fit there nicely and it looks to be route for speaker wires to rear speakers as well.
I get like a popping sound through front speakers but only when playing through my phone nothhing on the radio or cd player wierd so not sure is connected to + wire being to close to signal wires etc?

Back