Advice Needed On Potential New Purchase Please!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xCharlottex

I'm looking to get a Milli as my 1.7 Puma is now unable to pass it's MOT due to some damage and irreparable without spending much more than the cars value.

I have been looking at one over 100 miles away from me as it has less than 50k on the clock! As I intend to keep the car for a few years, this is what appealed to me the most about it, that and the rear arches are in excellent nick.
Bad points, it's currently off the road and has been for a few weeks (due to it not being the main car anymore I'm told) and the MOT is up in June!
Upon asking to see the advisories of the last MOT this is the list I was sent...

Milli012.jpg

Seems like an awful lot to me and I'm wondering if anyone knows a price bracket of getting that lot taken care of? Am factoring that in as well as the price for a cam belt change to decide if I should even go ahead with viewing this car.
Also aware that the first advisory is item number 002... Will have to ask what 001 is on the other side...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Personally I wouldnt bother particularly as its 100 miles away to take a look at it for you.

Cambelt change would be £300 - £500 dependant on who does it and what parts you buy

The parts for the work needed above wouldnt cost a fortune but the labour might easily be in the £200 -£300 range

Personally I think its more like a £600 -£700 car and I find the driver seat suspiciously worn for a car on 49k

None of that is major work, except the welding to the chassis/floor/sills. depending how bad that is, that would be the deciding factor for me, especially if i was having to pay someone to do it. Without seeing it, i wouldnt like to guess at the cost, it may just need wire brushing and undersealing which wont be a big cost, but if its cuting and welding, you could be looking at a few quid.

Im not sure what people charge for labour, but CV boots and some grease will set you back no more then about £20, looks like you might want an alloy wheel, and one of the suspension bushes (it doesnt state which one).

like pumanoob said it would be the rust i would be most interested in checking out to see how bad it was,the rest of the stuff is just normal wear and tear stuff nothing major,ive had a advisory before saying the cv gaiters were deteriorated so i ask the guy what was wrong with them as i had already checked them before the mot and he said they were dirty :roll:

Thanks everyone =)
It was the chassis corrosion that alarmed me too! It's a long way to go to determine how bad it is which is a shame. I think I'm leaning towards the decision that it just doesn't add up for me, and something doesn't feel quite right with it. Was told it passed it's MOT but was given no explanation as to why the first advisory was numbered 002 and as the MOT is due in June I couldn't afford for it not to pass! I will ask the seller about this and see what they say.
As I didn't plan on buying another Puma I'm having to be quite diligent with what I spend money on, a new car wasn't budgeted for :|. So I want to make sure whatever I get will run for at least for the best part of a year before needing money for an MOT or repairs etc.
The current owner has just had the interior re-done, was a bit beaten up and ripped and now looks as good as new!
Pros and cons.

Possibly viewing another next weekend from a dealer, 85k on the clock, cam belt done at 60k, partial service history, fresh MOT will be done and any advisories taken care of. Just waiting for some more pics of paperwork he has and in depth/closer pictures of the car and info to be emailed over to me.

Isn't buying a new car stressful :wink:

remember its not just the mileage thats important for the cambelt but when it was last done i.e. should be done every five years.

Theres loads of Pumas about so its just a matter of time waiting for the correct one. :thumbs:

Very true - I wish I had the time to wait but I'm under a bit of pressure as I need a car to get to work 5 days a week. The job I do requires me to drive AND have my own private transport.
Now my Puma is suddenly off the road I have been temporarily insured on my boyfriends Elise and am using that (ironically it actually has a better MPG than the Puma!) but the insurance is costing a lot as I'm 23 and I don't wish to have to renew it, so am hoping to get a car either next weekend or the weekend after :|
"Does it HAVE to be a Puma??" I keep getting asked by friends and family... what a silly question! :p
Wish me luck!

I looked at seven before I bought mine which was a pain as I didnt have a car for looking but even then I wished I had spent twice as much and bought a better one. However over time I have become reasonabably happy with it and it gets better year by year. But for me its a convenience rather than an outright neccessity and I can do some stuff bit by bit myself. In your case it may well be better spending more at the start and hopefully getting a great one rather than an ok one after all there arent any Puma spring chickens around anymore. There were a couple of great milly's for sale last year at £2.5k - £3k iirc

Back