advice on buying a bigger car?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheaper than the misses getting taxi's everywhere..lol

the misses is insured on the puma but hardly drives it so if she has her own car the insurance will only increase approx £50 so if we split the total it will probably still work out less than what i pay at the moment on the puma monthly also shes a much smoother driver changing gear way before 3000rpm's..lol so a full tank of petrol will last her along time in the puma

if it proves to expensive the puma will have to go but im sure i will be ok running two cars

I used a Sport Premium 2.2 diesel a large number of times for varied journeys.

It was dark blue with black half leather/half suede sports seats, 17" wheels..climate control, built in sat nav etc...

For the price the go for i'd not hesitate to buy one when I need a bigger car.

I use a 5 door 1.25 fiesta as a family car (1 child) and have no problems what so ever even with doing an airport trip for a holiday... if 2 children you may need something bigger..

Oh and 3 doors will get on your tits getting a rear facing baby seat in and out.

to be honnest i dont think id be that bothered about getting a 3 door over 5 door because the baby will only come out in the car on certain occasions so the few times i have to put a seat in wont matter then as they get bigger i could buy a 5 door because they will be in the car more

does your buggy fit in a boot of a fiesta? my sister struggles getting hers in her 5door vw polo

I wouldn't want to be you (or the emergency services) trying to get your baby out of the car in a 3 door car if something were to happen... :? 5 doors are much safer IMO when kids are involved.

I'm sure you could get a decent ST170 for 5k nowadays?

good point andy about safety probably why insurance is slighty higher for 3 door or coupe's

i wouldnt want to spend that much on a mk1 focus, i want a family car thats newer than my 2000 plate puma and has far less miles

mazda 6,mk3 mondeo,mk2 focus,bmw 3series,audi A4 s-line or possibly jaguar x-type are a few im looking at

XIIVVX said:
This might be more like it..

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1699743.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But those wheels are a horror show

That is foul.

what dont you like?

model
colour
alloys

what about these?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201021359922351/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/model/a4/make/audi/page/1/postcode/b321en/radius/1501/keywords/s%20line?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201019358856580/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/model/a4/make/audi/page/1/postcode/b321en/radius/1501/keywords/s%20line?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201021359958436/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/model/a4/make/audi/page/1/postcode/b321en/radius/1501/keywords/s%20line?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its a shame audi's have such high mileage for my budget 5-7k

The buggy fits in the boot no problem, it's on of those all in one travel systems so it's good from birth to about 4 years old. It's now got the seat attachment as opposed to just clipping the car seat on and it still fits in without issue.

The buggy fits into the puma just as well but of course you have to lift it in at a more daft angle which isn't quite as convenient!

We've had 2 full adult suit cases, a smaller suitcase, the buggy and the baby in the fiesta without even being close to obscuring the rear window. As I say for one child it's way more than sufficient.

If you are buying diesel you need be less concerned about the mileage than for a petrol. They go on beyond 200,000 without a second thought. Sandra's X is now on 145,000 and hasn't given a moment's problems. The guys at Halewood really have finally got the knack of screwing a car together properly.

Find one that's been used by a Sales Manager to pound up and down the motorways at a steady 90 and you won't be able to tell it from a 30,000 mile 'urban' car (Goes for all makes, not just the Big Cat)

right a little update managed to get a few test drives last week and a test drive of the jag yesterday after work

mazda 6 - nice quiet smooth ride excellent boot space,awfull stereo which didnt look removable

jaguar X type - very good suspension,nice interior,not that fun to drive,would prefer a V6 version deffo

mondeo ST TDCI - excellent fun drive,lots of modifiaction prospects,massive boot(biggest of 3)

to be honnest there wasnt much between the jag or mondeo i will keep looking for a mint one with must have low miles

You are spot on about the Mazda stereo, that is what put me off getting a Mazda6 MPS a few years back.

im still tempted by the mazda 6 though, its only a stereo i aint gonna be blasting tunes with a baby onboard any way

the one i test drove was 2005 silver and 45k mileage very nice and he only wanted £4,200

i saw a nice black one with black 18's on it yesterday looks nice with the standard lexus lights it comes with

V. juicy though, and watch the head gaskets - an uncle had the same engine in a Freelander, HG's went, cost a small fortune.

Falsh i think the 180 is the v6 engine isn't it?

Its the 1.8 engine thats notorius for blowing a gasket

yeah the 180 is the KV6 engine which doesnt suffer from HGF. Its a bit more juicy that a puma (i was suprised how well the fuel lasted actually) Its more economical than that sierra i had lol.

Its only the 1.6 and 1.8 that suffer from HGF. I should be the owner of a 180 at the weekend :grin:

good news im still on the bigger car hunt looking mainly at golf mk5,mazda6,mondeo ST but the puma will stay at least for the next 4 months untill my insurance needs renewing after finally getting around to testing the new baby buggy out in the boot finding out it easily fits in with the parcel shelf fully down aswell as having a big JBL subwoofer in the boot

what a result

http://www.mothercare.com/My3-3-wheeler-travel-system-Black/dp/B00116V3NK?_encoding=UTF8&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pumakid2010 said:
testing the new baby buggy out in the boot finding out it easily fits in with the parcel shelf fully down aswell as having a big JBL subwoofer in the boot
/B00116V3NK?_encoding=UTF8&

Thats a result. We have a 110cm (when folded down) buggy which does not fit in the boot unless i put it in at an angle over the rear seats and block my rear view. Let alone with a box in the boot! :|

FlashBastd said:
His Freelander was the 2.5, they are also prone to HG's, not just the 4cyl K.

At the end of the day any car on this planet is prone to a HGF :lol: The KV6 is just like any other engine. Yea the 1.8 and 1.6 are "common" to this fault, but the KV6 has a lot smaller failure rate and can easily pass the 100k mark without a hint of HGF; unlike the others.

Back