Air-box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie

Just thought i's let you all know that I Successfully drilled out some holes in my Air-box, and filed them all out and it does make me car sound a little more 'grunty' when I accelerate :)
I've just done it temporarily until I buy an Induction kit.
But I felt rather chuffed with myself so wanted to tell someone :D

Well done!

Before anyone dives in to tell you an induction kit is a waste of money..... they don't really do anything 'performance' wise. You probably won't get any extra horses, or even a small pony. They just give you more noise.
You'd probably even get told to keep the original air box with panel filter and maybe do the 'FRP mod' to it.

I have a cold/forced air feed induction kit. It does give me more noise, and I think the engine does feel a little more responsive... but other than that.. that's it!

Thank s for he info, I have looked at the FRP mod it looks a tad difficult for me to attempt myself :/ isn't it something to do with drain pipe and things!?

I'm not too fussed about the extra horses I do want a little more noise from under the bonnet, just for the time being of course then maybe look into doing something with the engine for more power? :/

Why thank you :D

Its the most interesting thing to me :D always been into it since i was little :D

No power gain from an air filter is a myth... It all depends on type of filter, how it is fitted etc.. A good sealed airfilter with a sealed cold air feed is goIng to allow more cold air into the engine = more power... There was an indepenant test done on air filters a while ago using a standard saxo vts... Most filters were producing more power, with some showing an increase of +10%

No power gain from an air filter is a myth... It all depends on type of filter, how it is fitted etc.. A good sealed airfilter with a sealed cold air feed is goIng to allow more cold air into the engine = more power... There was an indepenant test done on air filters a while ago using a standard saxo vts... Most filters were producing more power, with some showing an increase of +10%

Thanks for the info , all info is appreciated :D

:eek: :eek: You just swore :eek: :eek: (hi-lighted)

cant see 10% tbh

How were the tests done? the only reliable way that would convince me would be wheel horse power readings, done on the same rollers with a before measurement and an after measurement at least on the same day, even then thats not entirely accurate, but close enough

I agree that some air filters may smooth out flat spots, or may increase power a small amount, usually if there is a problem with the original air filter or theres heat soak in the first place, but nothing you would really notice.

That was exactly how it was done, it was a couple of years ago that I saw it.. Tried finding it now, they tested the standard car, (which produced almost exactly Std bhp) then tested about 10 different filters on the dyno, and also tested each filter for how efficient it was as filtering some sort of dust (can't remember what it was exactly) on a specific machine... The standard airfilter was over 90% efficient iirc with the K&N apollo being the best filter with about 13bhp increase with about 80% efficiency

Back