Airbox mod question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo Zaga

Hello guys hope a great day to all, i want to modify my puma's original airbox, to the FRP specs airbox, but i have noticed the FRP airbox have a plastic tube, that i have to put on it a rubber flexible tube to move it in a place that give it the best air quality, but where is the best place to put this tube? I have two ideas, one is on the rear of the little grill with the Ford logo, in the front, and the second choose, the choose i have already seen, rear the front bumper grill, but i'm afraid of the dirty things of the road because this point is lower than the little ford grill, and what is the right name of the final ring, that is in the final of the rubber tube? More times is anodyzed like blue or red or all colours, is a ring that is put in an eyecatch point of the car like bumpers or headlights for aestetichs :?:

There have been lots of opinions about the positioning over the years and this is my brief summary:

Lower front grille cut with a circular saw and then as you mention, mounted to a funnel / trumpet (lots of options, carbon fibre, aluminum etc, it doesnt matter).
Lower bumper corner, this wasnt that common and mostly on Racing Pumas
Headlight space, only seen on track cars

This was one was an exception to the above which looked nice and tidy
file.php

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=375722#p375722

This had mesh added over it later and tidied up, this was the first photo I found for it for the lower bumper corner example
6a902091dd2114b0416c1e0806c57f11.jpg

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=94566#p94566

You can even do it without adding the funnel
96ae3358abcb631261750b3adfa1b6de.jpg

Hi.
I have done something similar. I have tried to post a copy of a photo here but have not been successful. I have actually added a air intake in the grill. You can view it in my project thread My Puma( formally Pictures at Last) on page 1.
Regards,
Richard.

Of course.

Right click the picture of interest and choose 'Copy link address'

That's then on your clipboard, paste it in to a new message and it will look like this

Code:
https://www.projectpuma.com/download/file.php?id=2722&mode=view

That is just the link to the image, so what we then need to do is wrap it in tags that identify it as an image, you can either do it manually or by highlighting that link in your message and pressing the button that looks like an image of mountains on the reply editor. It should then look like this regardless of manually doing it or by pressing the button, note it has one at the beginning and a slightly different one at the end.

Code:
[img]https://www.projectpuma.com/download/file.php?id=2722&mode=view[/img]

You should then be able to preview or submit and see it show up as

file.php

Wow :eek: amazing results! But in the lower grill in the bumper, could there be a chance that dirt and water passes and go in the airbox? This is my first fear. But with this mod how is the hp increment? :cool:

Well in that part I dont think it's too low, it's not like driving through shallow puddles will go in it, maybe in that lower bumper corner position, but again this was discussed somewhere and agreed it'd likely not be all that detrimental.

As for dirt, well it should then be stopped by the filter anyway up the top. Or you can fit mesh in to the entry to stop larger items like leaves if you are too worried. Everyone that I've read about say it's not caused issues.

I'm sure I remember someone saying it was like 5bhp, but in reality that is probably optimistic, I dont think anyone has ever actually compared stock and then just this mod.

I've done the mod too. I haven't made up a cold air intake feed on the front though, as I would like it to stay looking standard.

One thing I learned in industry is that there is always an improvement in flow with a bell mouth. I've tried my best to replicate this using foam. If I was doing it again I'd use an even larger cross section - I think what is shown is about 14mm diameter. Stuck onto the very end of the pipe with superglue, then secured behind the opening with a glue gun.

The LH headlamp has been removed to get this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_131723450.jpg
    IMG_20211021_131723450.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20211021_131716812.jpg
    IMG_20211021_131716812.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 88
Thanks to all! Great work grogee :wink: ok, with the water i haven't problems, and with the dust of white roads? The dust can do damages? Especially in the filter? I have a bmc sport filter

Hello guys! I've finally finished the work! I've done an aluminium "trumpet" for the air in the lathe, i've put this in the top of an aluminium flexible tube, and i connected this to the airbox and in the back of the front grill!!! The result is amazing! Seems like more power! :cool: i'have an idea, it is good if i make a little hole in the lower part of this alu tube? Because when i wash the puma the water that enter on this can drain, is a good idea? Or if i made an hole i loose the gains :lol:

Attachments

• InCollage_20220905_203713942.jpg
    InCollage_20220905_203713942.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20220906-093822_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-093822_Gallery.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back