aircon and power steering removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianshepherd

hi guys

this may of been covered before, but i am new to the site :)

I am looking to remove my power steering and aircon from my 1.7 puma,
do i also remove the pumps from the belt system or leave them on?

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum.
I have stripped both PS and AC out of my car. There are pics and detailed info on my build thread http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=26160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In brief..
The aircon pump can stay where it is, but bear in mind it weighs 6.5kg!
But the PS pump cannot run dry so will need to come off.. (another 6kg)
Ford did use this engine without those bits which. It uses a different tensioner and you`ll need the correct belt.
Its all in the build thread.
Hope this is helpful, Stu..

Fantastic, Thankyou

Still got a seized engine to investigate yet,
bought the car for £100 as it had been stored on a drive for over a year after cutting out on a motorway and never starting again

bargain.. :thumbs:
It sounds like a replacement engine will be the best way forward.
Look for a rusty mot failure or bumped car to butcher..

i think that will be what i end up doing,

up until 3 days ago when i bought this car i had never attempted any car mechanics or mods so i am using the opportunity of a broken engine to learn how bits fit together and what things are :)

Hi Brian.

The non abs fiesta rack just bolts on, you will need the linkage to connect to the steering column with it.
BUT
The Puma rack has a turn ratio of 2.5 turns lock to lock. The Fizzy manual rack is 4 turns lock to lock.
On the road the fizzy rack would be better, but on a track car it`d be far too slow.
I have kept the puma rack which is unbelievably heavy around the paddock, but spot on, on track.
You will need to read through the build thread to see how :wink:

Latest posts

Back