alcon brakes a bit of a let down

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulob1

Well after the track day i thought i had developed a wheel bearing rumble changed it, no change turns out to be a warped alcon disc, not only warped but covered in tiny cracks....not impressed at all...have new rotors fitted now but will think seriously about fitting other rotors in the future...not sure what but there must be something better...

paulob1 said:
Well after the track day i thought i had developed a wheel bearing rumble changed it, no change turns out to be a warped alcon disc, not only warped but covered in tiny cracks....not impressed at all...have new rotors fitted now but will think seriously about fitting other rotors in the future...not sure what but there must be something better...

Have you contacted Alcon about it?

I've use black diamond drilled combie discs with ferodo ds2500 pads and never had a problem out on the track

My alcons were similar when i brought the car, very rumbly and warped so put my ap racing brakes on and are out of this world.
My advice would be to bite the bullet and buy a set of ap racing brakes mine are 4pot 330mm and fit under standard wheels and so on. The brakes are phenominal and i like the fact i dont have to worry about brakes on a trackday etc, but for the priveledge there £1500 but there fit and forget :)

There must be some reason for this...shafts/gearbox?? or bedding in procedure..?? pad choice?? hubs??

Iv'e never had that issue with ANY of the Alcons iv'e installed, you won't buy a better quality disc anywhere!..

The Ones Hispec machine to fit are no way in the same league of disc quality even though they work perfectly well...

:?

ps.. are you sure the noise isn't just the usual 'drone noise issue' coming from vibration within the caliper/pad setup..??? that would be nothing to do with the discs, altho lipped discs do aggravate it... :idea: Iv'e had that issue plenty of times :lol:

not sure el dude, the drone is not the same now without the discs, i have spares....and the brakes are back to being mega with red pads and new discs...and thats before they are beeded in, no squeel either...only one disc was cracked, it was coever in tiny little cracks all over, the other one is fine, off side wheel by the way, they have obviously become very hot during the track day. I am going to fit ap racers to the 350 bhp car...and may even go six pot rather than four pot...

I am rather suprised by the failure of the disc...will take photos tomorrow and post them up...

If you want a standard (ish) replacement id recommend the hispec ali bells and steel rotors option (about same price as alcon steel discs)

i haven't tried hispec's 'machined to fit' disc, its a mitsubishi disc they take a few mm off so it's def road biased, i wouldnt use it on a track. but at just over £100 each last time i checked, good as a road alternative to the £200+ alcons

but like you say, if your going mad on track then the alcons could be bettered. alcons are good tho...one of my kids dad runs several race teams and their F3 Renault cars have exactly the same alcons as the FRP!!! F3 is only a few steps down from F1...

paulob1 said:
not sure el dude, the drone is not the same now without the discs, i have spares....and the brakes are back to being mega with red pads and new discs...and thats before they are beeded in, no squeel either...only one disc was cracked, it was coever in tiny little cracks all over, the other one is fine, off side wheel by the way, they have obviously become very hot during the track day. I am going to fit ap racers to the 350 bhp car...and may even go six pot rather than four pot...

I am rather suprised by the failure of the disc...will take photos tomorrow and post them up...

are you using redstuff pads?... they are garbage on the FRP... infact all the EBC stuff is cheap crap.. :?

good one FRP 476, but going into bends too fast using the braking force of the excellent brakes and holding more speed through the bend is the only way an FRP can get anywhere near matching faster cars...

red stuff pads first time I have used them to be fair, squeeling already but stopping superbly at the moment on new rotors.

I think I will try bigger rotors, not keen on hispec, rotors have all warped on turbo puma...useless, took it back to st 220 brakes and disks, nearly as good but will last longer am sure...

paulob1 said:
red stuff pads first time I have used them to be fair, squeeling already but stopping superbly at the moment on new rotors.

i'd whip them pads off as soon as...they're disastrous! they just eat discs and ruin them, bit like the crappy greenstuff only faster..lol :lol:

hey el dud thanks for that going to replace them asap...discs too damn expensive to go ruining them. Will try to source std ford pads..

oilburner said:
Just for interest how did you fit ST220 discs as they have a 5 stud wheel bolt pattern?

st200 sorry, rushing and putting first thing that comes into head...

el dude said:
are you using redstuff pads?... they are garbage on the FRP... infact all the EBC stuff is cheap crap.. :?

I have to disagree there, Im far from an expert in braking, but i have EBC yellow stuff pads with 330mm EBC grooved and dimpled discs, and i really like them! The harder you work them, the better they get!! It almost feels like at higher temps, they become sticky. Ive not used them on track, just road and Straight line sprints 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile, and stopping from 140mph (ive not had the balls to go any faster), and they are the best set up ive had in my opinion, thats after having exactly the same symptoms as Paulob, discs seeming to warp, even though its not suposed to be possible, but the symptoms are what you would expect from warped discs. Really bad vibration on braking, as soon as i changed the discs from Alcon to the 330 EBC discs, its transformed the car.

Im not saying the quality of one is better then another, i dont want to get into that whole debate again, im just saying the EBC set up suits me a whole lot better then the 2 sets of alcons i had.

Oh really?? So it wasnt you who wrote this post then??? :lol:

frp476 said:
Why on earth would you want to put your frp to sleep in the garage over the winter months ??
I drive mine everyday on 2 wheels through every roundabout :) wash it once a week jet wash underneath once a week and service and repair as and when :)
what a great car ....
frp 476

I think someone is telling porkies!! :cool:

Iv'e got grooved on mne at the moment, absolutely hate them... for general driving around you can feel the grooves all the time, it just feels like the brakes are constantly not bedded in properly.. :evil: the only scenario they feel good, is when your coming down from high speed quickly! and give the pedal a firm press... other than that, they're shite! i only fitted them cos high-spec did the grooves without me asking for them and i thought ' oww, i got the grooves for free so i'll have those thank you very much'.. won't be falling for that one again... :lol:

they'll be going on Ebay in a couple of months and plain ones fitted... :grin:

The Alcons can be very fussy indeed to bed properly as they take a LOT of warming up and patience, not getting them hot regulaly is diastorous and they 'feel' warped very quickly...equally, rushing them and too much stamping to get them bedded in spoils them too... as i stated, Iv'e NEVER had any issue with a new set fitted, they've been amazing.... i have had several skimmed sets that didn't bed in too well, the skimmed ones seems to be a lottery whether it works or not, they need cleaning very thoroughly afterwards....the ones that didn't bed properly also tended to be the ones that were juddering all over the place before hand..lol..

The hi-spec discs tend to bed and operate much easier and respond quicker too, not because they are a 'better' disc, but because they warm up a hell of a lot quicker and dos the pad gets to it's operating temperature a lot quicker too, which for general road driving is actually a lot more practical than the industrial Alcons :lol:

Chris

ps..on a side note.. guess how much the Alcons are now if some were to be ordered from Ears/Alcon ?? :lol: :lol:

Back