Am I burning a lot of oil?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberjohnson

Hi. Just checked my oil (on a '99 1.7l) and it's below the minimum. A month or so ago I had topped it up to between the min and max marks on the dipstick. Does that sound like it's burning too much? It's certainly more than I'm used to on any previous car. I can't see any obvious leaks, no blue smoke or anything like that. Is there something/somewhere I should be checking in particular?
I've only had it for 6 months, hence all the questions... :roll:

Thanks!

I would say that if its gone down that much in as little time as a month then its not good. It normally uses a tiny bit anyway, hence most people having the top up bottle. Top it up again, and check again in exactly a month just to make sure its going down.

Edit, and always check the oil when the engine is cold or has been switched off for a while to let the oil gather in the sump. Might give an innacurate reading otherwise.

How many miles do you do in a month, time is quite irrespective of oil usage unless you are actually leaking it?

Usage varies largely from car to car as do the causes / effects etc.

If there's no noticeable degradation in performance, no smoke showing, no signs of leaks then it becomes a lot harder to diagnose however there's probably not a lot of need for panic.

Keep an eye on the level weekly, maybe track how many miles you do before it needs topping up from min-max etc

I know of a few Puma that use more oil than others. My old Puma never used any whereas my FRP does need checking more often.

Thanks, I'll try and keep track of the mileage. It's done at least 1500 or so in the last month, visiting relatives and all that, so a few more long runs than usual. I'll report back for advice if it seems to be drinking the last lot of oil a bit sharpish. :?

Cheers :thumbs:

Covered 32,000 miles in my first year of Puma ownership -and with doing my own oil changes have been able to monitor the usage fairly well over that time, although only as it relates to my own car.

In general when the oil is fresh and retains its full, new viscosity then the car doesnt 'use' any - as it deteriorates and 'thins' losing its viscosity - over miles of use - then it can bu burnt up/used quite a bit more.

Obviously having a top-up bottle is handy... but, it seems, there is nothing better than doing a full change and getting the most out of the lubricant effect, full viscosity of new oil.

mine used a fair bit in not a lot of time, i checked it and it too was below the minimum, had only done an oil change afew months before. i do around 200 miles a week in it though. if theres no smoke and no loss of performance i wouldt worry too much

Hello all - a little advice on the topic of oil burning if possible.

I've been aware that my Puma ('99 1.7 130k) has been using oil quite quickly since I serviced it with 5W30 Castrol Magnatec. Since its service in early June, I have now added my entire 1L bottle of "top up" oil. I changed the rocker gasket myself with genuine Ford parts and instant gasket so I'm fairly sure it's not leaking from there but will check the spark plug recesses just in case.

Watching my girlfriend start up and drive away today, there was some definite blue smoke out of the exhaust on start up and when she pulled out of the end of the road. I think I already know the answer in that the most likely cause is oil passing the piston rings or maybe valve seals, which is difficult to rectify without some fairly costly engine work.

How terminal is this likely to be? Is it something I/we are likely to be able to live with for a while or are the Puma's days seriously numbered? Is it worth getting an expert to take a look or am I just kidding myself?

Cheers guys

Might be worth getting a compression test done on it.

There's a bit of information here http://autoleak.com/Oil/Blue-Smoke-From-Exhaust.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my 1.4 burned a litre of oil a week and i drove 16,000 miles like that over a year and a half. Only got rid of it because everything just started to die on it (brakes, electrics, radio lol)
Just keep topping it up and you'll be fine. If it starts to knock from the bottom end, then its time to get rid!

It really shouldnt burn that fast lol. I had an oil change nearly a year ago now and I still have yet to need to top it up. This is also in the knowledge that i do have a small leak somewhere on the block. :idea:

Cheers guys. Should be able to lay my hands on a compression tester so will check that and fingers crossed rule out cylinder liners/piston rings but can't say I'm optimistic!

£150-200 seems to be the going rate for a 1.7 engine on ebay if the worst comes to the worst... :)

Back