Another person looking for a FRP intake manifold - no longer

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
0064 is for sale I think, been polished so its non-original but looks fairly nice.

Think the guy was looking for £500 although I also can't find his post about it.

Thank you Ian. I did have a search but failed to find any for sale currently

I'm still considering what to do intake wise, the lightning one is a promising option.

Flying Scotsman said:
Now ask yourself... Why spend £500+ on a hollow box.

Good question, although cars are also hollow boxes, as is my house :p

Although a proper answer.

My car is off the road for a minor repair/rebuild ready for next season. This year I won my class in one championship but am massively underpowered, and got royally spanked in the other championships so I need powwweerrr! :wink:

As of yet my car is standard and I'm on the fence intake wise, i'm still not sure which is why I was looking at the FRP intakes as they hold their value if I get one 2nd hand, in fact I would go as far to say the demand is raising value. (the second hand lightning one that sold recently including an additional hole sold for ~60% of retail)

Ideally, yes I would go straight for ITB's and a chat with Dave walker regarding ecu's (I would never use anything other than emerald) however, I'm on a time limit (only have 3 months for the first event) and I don't have a bottomless pit of cash, and Emerald are very busy this time of year.

I'm tempted to make my own (I can weld etc) but you have to put a price on your own time, if it takes me £100 in materials and a good week work of measuring, drawing machining etc for something that may not be as good as the frp/lightning one (or even a std one), what's the point?

Lightning supply emerald k6's and they have also created a great plug and play harness for the puma, a well worth purchase but not cheap.
With intakes and looking at the frp or lightning one, you're looking at 5-7 bhp alone, with certain other components fitted it will be 7-9bhp. But what does that give you... Very little!
I have and frp inlet but it is purely a looks item. For you to have considered ITBs for power and dismissed it for a frp plenum, I'd say you have gone the wrong way.
If it's for a racing championship I would wonder what the regulations are for power increase and would most certainly go a different way. If it's a competitive edge you're looking for, my personal opinion is that and frp or LMS inlet manifold will give you nothing of what you are after.

Flying Scotsman said:
Lightning supply emerald k6's and they have also created a great plug and play harness for the puma, a well worth purchase but not cheap.
With intakes and looking at the frp or lightning one, you're looking at 5-7 bhp alone, with certain other components fitted it will be 7-9bhp. But what does that give you... Very little!
I have and frp inlet but it is purely a looks item. For you to have considered ITBs for power and dismissed it for a frp plenum, I'd say you have gone the wrong way.
If it's for a racing championship I would wonder what the regulations are for power increase and would most certainly go a different way. If it's a competitive edge you're looking for, my personal opinion is that and frp or LMS inlet manifold will give you nothing of what you are after.

Thank you for your reply. Although I don't think I managed to get across what I was eluding to in my previous post.

The car is used for hillclimb's, sprint's autosolo's and potentially 12 cars - some cars are stopped from entering into 12 cars with itb's (although I have just bought another car to run in solo's and 12 cars if required, although this needs a cash inection)

As above, I completely agree with you. For ultimate power, £ per bhp mod, ITB's or carbs are the way forward and nothing else should even be considered. However, my pot of disposable income for motorsport is only a fintite size and has diminished considerably on this mini rebuild on things.

To fit ITB's, ecu, get it mapped set up and run in properly it will be ~£2.5k easily. If I get an FRP manifold for a bit less than that :wink: then next year when my ££ is back up (if I decide to keep the puma and haven't crashed it), I can sell the manifold for effectively the same amount (that I paid for it) and fit ITB's, therefore having the extra 6-9bhp (5-7% increase!). When you can win or lose the championship by tenths of a second and you know you have 60% of the power other people have, every bit counts.

I completely understand what your saying, and i'm sure your used to people just wanting them for power and looks when the gains could be better gained elsewhere, but for me, for this year it will work as log as the cost is right.

Maybe i'll update my thread at some point.

Spoke to the guy selling inlet 0064, he said he'll pass on his mobile if you want it to speak about a deal.

Sorry for the delayed response to this, I'm just awaiting a line of enquiry but due to the festive break its a slow one.

Thank you for following up Ian, i'll be back in contact either way hopefully soon.

Thank you all for you assistance, I have now resolved my intake requirements and no longer require a FRP intake.

Thanks again for your time.

This thread can be locked/deleted now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back