Any good threads detailing 2.0 zetec swaps?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmc757

Unfortunately I live on a continent where the factory installed Puma engines are non-existent, so if I end up buying and importing a Puma as I hope to, I may decide to do a 2.0 swap in the interest of parts availability. I would like to learn as much as possible about this concept before I get to a decision point.

Ive tried searching but haven't had much luck...I've seen at least one successful 2.0 zetec swap thread for a millenium car, but that thread was pretty scarce on the details because he didn't do the work himself.
Are there any good threads out there that provide details about how to go about a 2.0 swap and what problems need to be solved?

Also, long shot...I dont think I've seen anything about 2.5 or 3.0 Duratec V6 swaps...this probably hasn't been done, right? I suspect the engine bay isn't long enough as the Duratec V6 has enormous heads...

There are certainly a few around with the Duratec 2.0 Focus RS block. Which is basically the same as the 2.0 (I think you're referencing to a Blacktop engine). So it has been done quite a few times. I know there is one thread on here of someone putting a Duratec RS engine in his Puma.

His name is Moondustka. Thread can be found here: https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=16847

Parts availability is a unusual reason for a conversion, your still going to have the availability issues with every other part of the car.
Did the focus come with the 1.6 engine in the u.s? as that shares alot of parts with the 1.7 puma engine. This could be a good source of parts?

With regard to the 2.0 zetec, try looking for info on fitting it in a fiesta MK4 or mk5 as I know this has been done and is basically the same as fitting in a puma.
I can't see the duratec V6 being a worthwhile swap, if it will even fit.I have a 3.0 duratec v6 in my mondeo and when next to my puma'd fiesta it looks huge!
One of the best things the puma has going for it is it's handling, I think fitting one of these engines will totally ruin that,

If your going to the trouble of importing a car i would fill it up with all the spares you can.

Youre spot on with most of your assessment Kyle.
The Mk1 Focus here contains the 2.0 zetec and they are extremely plentiful and inexpensive, so that would be my preferred swap.
As for the rest of the car (mostly suspension) you are correct that importing a bunch of spare parts at the same time as the car would be part of the plan. After that, I will have no choice but to depend on finding sellers willing to ship overseas or findings a sympathetic ProjectPuma member to relay parts for me :wink:
I tend to suspect you are correct about the V6, I think its probably just too big. If it did fit though, I don't think the weight difference would be a major concern because as large as it is, its still a very lightweight engine. The balance difference could probably be compensated for by battery relocation and other simple weight saving measures such as lighter flywheel, possibly A/C delete, etc. If that fails, stiffer springs should finish up the difference. I brought up the V6 swap just because its the engine I'm best with, but I do believe the 2.0 would be the simplest choice.

Thats a thought...I hadnt really considered the 2.3l. It is available over here, just not as common as the 2.0 or the V6's. Its more found in the Mazda's than in the Ford's. I like the 2.0 because I can get a donor Focus anywhere for super cheap, but its certainly worth looking at the 2.3's before making a decision.

Latest posts

Back