Anyone got a Rolling road print out of a standard frp?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC_0576.jpg

But that was at Jamsport so I'd take that result with an EU mountain of salt...

Interesting. I had mine dynod to after the frp conversion, mine didn't say 153 hp, it actualy red 119, but that was at the wheels, whitout temperature conpensation... I'll be comparing this printout to mine, when I get home :) atleast the torqe curve looks the same from memory :)

Temperature compensation.. hmm.. t'was a discussion on PassionFord about that recently and how the dyno operator can manipulate the results...

Watch this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhaqaninU3s[/youtube]

yea, my dyno friend told me about that, you can basicaly get whatever hp you want.. :/ but he put the 2 grafs together, and it clarely was higher than the first time we dynod it.

we did one run whit frp cams, exaust and ecu, and we did one whit the inblett to, just to se :) but the second time was a werry hot day, and the first day, was a werry cool day. so... I don't know realy.

I remember chatting to Alan at P.Build about FRP's on the dyno... he said nearly all the ones he's tested on there make on average mid 130's to 140.... only one or two hit 150..

it should be peaking at around 120 at the wheels ideally... any other estimated figure is a waste of time...also look at the shape of the torque curve it should rise very quickly on the 1.7 VCT from 2k rpm and stay mostly flat all the way through the RPM range... THEN, you knows it's running properly.. :cool: :cool:

The only use for a rolling road / dyno is to do a before and after test with the same conditions and temperatures after some kind of mod to see the increase / decrease.

The actual amount of power and torque can be manipulated in so many ways as to make the result almost pointless.

Thats why we have an engine dyno thats tuv approved
The most extreme example ive come across was 698bhp from our dyno to 820 in the car on a rolling road, i cant believe any rr figures tbh even tyre pressures and how tight the straps are on the rolling road effect bhp in a massive way

I used to work alongside one of the top Rolling Road engine tuners in the UK. We were the preferred tester for many magazines and also for engine development work for a number of well respected engine bulders. We had a Schenk bench dyno that came straight out of the company that did all the engine development & testing for Rover. As a general rule of thumb with a front wheel drive car there was typically a 15BHP loss on FWD. For example a Vauxhall 2.0 16Valve with a quoted flywheel figure of 150BHP would make 135BHP on our Rolling Road. The same engine would make 150-152BHP on the bench Dyno. Rear Wheel Drive cars had more losses because of the propshaft, and would usually produce the quoted KW figure at the wheels, for that engine. In addition,cars would always make 3-5 BHP more on a cold damp day. the figures we achieved were very accurate and produced many class wins in competition. Binding rear brakes & Sticking handbrakes on RWD would affect the readings dramatically. Similarly sticking front calipers would do so on FWD. A very basic Water injection system,gave approx 6 BHP at the wheels on an A series 1275 mini engine.

I Agree with Ryan there are many Rolling roads out there that are out of calibration or the operator doesn't take readings properly. for the Puma engine in standard trim a smaller capability rolling road will be more sensitive to changes in performance. For example we had two scales on the Rolling Road upto 125 BHP @ The Wheels or 250 BHP @ The wheels. Wheels climbing out of the rollers will give false readings that are high.

I think rolling roads can be fairly accurate at figures in the 100'and 200bhp range but when your talking 5,6,7,800 and 500lbs ft of torque sometimes higher then that realistically you cant hold the cars in the rollers that well and so on.

Like you say theres just too many changing factors on rolling roads, barometric pressure readings is another huge changer

Our dyno was within 1bhp of fords formula one dyno thats how we got the contract to continue from the s1600 engines to the Frp engines.

el dude said:
I remember chatting to Alan at P.Build about FRP's on the dyno... he said nearly all the ones he's tested on there make on average mid 130's to 140.... only one or two hit 150..

it should be peaking at around 120 at the wheels ideally... any other estimated figure is a waste of time...also look at the shape of the torque curve it should rise very quickly on the 1.7 VCT from 2k rpm and stay mostly flat all the way through the RPM range... THEN, you knows it's running properly.. :cool: :cool:

then Mine should ber spot on, it did 121.5 at the wheels before I swaped the inlet. only real diference was that the hp curve changed a little. holding more at the top, and veveling a bit. wil take a picture of it so you can se the difference :)

this is the readout of my first run.

Keep in mind this is full frp spec, but missing the frp innlet

931397_10152756546970596_1895393689_n.jpg

That's the first run, whitout the frp inlet.

Tis is the second,
the read and blue lines are the last run. The others the first for comparrison.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153011954895596&set=a.10150986406955596.765078.873605595&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash3%2F16544_10153011954895596_1878455714_n.jpg&size=959%2C540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry bout the link, wil fix it when I'm on my pc later,

all very interesting, will be very interesting to see what chris comes up with when he dynos my car, we are aiming for 350 bhp but I I get anything over 300 I will be happy...but of course now I have seen all this I have to take it with a pinch of salt...lets see how it drives on the road...

Had mine properly mapped on Friday and it came out with a lot nicer curves on the rolling road printout, only 142BHP so still a bit shy :( I WILL get 150+ :p just trying to think what to replace/ check next...

I had a frp engined fiesta and that put out 157,completely standard aswell,came out press car number 20.

Back