Ap or GAZ coilovers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringy_01

Hi guys. I know there is a massive price difference but im in the market for some coilovers. Im 95% sure im going to get some gaz coilys but are the AP's any good? My pumas JUST a track car, nothing else.
Do I save some money and go ap or go for gaz?

What rear beam is your puma? Fork fitment or eye mount? What year is your puma?

I have AP ones and they are great, but if your using it for track they are gonna get a hammering, which is fine but eventually they will wear, the problem then is you will need to buy new ones AFAIK they can't be rebuilt by the manufacturers and GAZ ones can, so due purely to this I'd reccomend the GAZ ones

Not really sure what any of Adampuma's questions are in response to.. think he's gearing up to try and sell you something.. lol

AP or GAZ.. I have both of them and used both of them on the track.
Nice and simple, yes AP's work on the track, a much smoother transition on weight distribution in and out of the corners.
But then I tried the GAZ Golds... smooth was not the word. anything aggressive I wanted to do with the car, the coilovers took all the anger out of it and did it gracefully. Fully adjustable not only in height but in strength too, and easier than the AP's are to do.
Yes GAZ Golds are expensive, but after using them, I would have no less.

Thanks flying scotsman for your reply. Im going to.take your advice bud. Think if i get ap's illl always want gaz. Thanks again.

Any other advice on mods for trackdays?

I have just put the golds on the rally car that I am building but not been out in the car yet but it is getting MOT'd on Tue so will let you know what they like.

Similar but not the same, I've just fitted AP's to my Fiesta Zetec S, I had a Puma before with Eibach's on and it's not much different in terms of ride, firmer than standard, a bit more choppy, big difference in handling though. They were about £150 quid cheaper than the GAZ and they were delivered quicker, heard a lot of good things about the GAZ and will see how the AP's go once bedded in a bit more but overall i'm happy with them.

I track my Puma and do Hillclimbs and Sprints. I splashed out on Gaz and they are great. I could not afford Gaz Gold but - and here's a tip - I called Gaz up, spoke to them about what I wanted and they did a custom set up for me for the same price as Gaz GHAs. Also ot was cheaper buying direct than through a dealer. As I was using it for track they recommended I use GHA rears - adjustable damping and hieght with fronts specially made out of Gaz Gold internals ie heat treated rods for additional strength. Hieght adjsutable but not damping adjustable. In addition they advised on Spring rates and gave me a set up with 325lb on the front and 250 on the back. Stiffer than the standard GHAs. They also gave me some tips re setting up the suspension and tyre pressures to counter under steer.

My only slight issue is that the rears will wind down lower than the fronts - I would ask them to make sure the fronts can be wound down to give you whatever ride hieght you are looking to achieve. Mine handles well but I would have been even happier if I had the option to lower the front a bit more.

All the best
CM

Latest posts

Back