Banging from NSF area..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtfulHussy

I'm getting a weird clattering sound coming from the NSF of the car. As far I can tell it seems to be related to the brakes. I'm confident it has nothing to do with suspension, ball joint etc as everything was replaced when I put it back together last month. Also the noise is related to the wheel turning, rather than up and down movement. It seems to get worse the harder I am on the brakes (i.e fast road driving). I have got no bloody clue where to look though. I have looked, obviously, and as far as I can see everything is bolted on right and everything is where it should be.

It's a very disconcerting noise though!!

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could look for problems?

Many thanks
Emma

its possible the strut top mount bearings colapsed, worth checking definitely. while youre under it just check the caliper and pads are all located correctly and tight to eliminate that.

The pad may have come away from the backing.
Or a stone may have hit or been trapped in the ABS ring, clipping the sensor.
Or check that the caliper retention spring is present or not hanging off.
fullsize_5178.jpg

Also caliper guides may be worn..

Just thought I'd fire in an update on this..

I believe the banging to have been my battery carrier, the bolts of which have rattled themselves completely loose. I'm putting this down to the harsh ride. I'll throw a drop of threadlock on 'em when I rebuild the car (again).

Yeah I could lift it up a good half inch easy. My suspension is pretty solid, definitely enough to bounce the battery around if it ain't fixed down.

Well the battery and airbox are both now securely seated and the banging is still happening. :l

What is this noooooooooooise its doing my head in!?! :crazy:

Latest posts

Back