battery relocation

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only requirement for an earth is that it can reciprocate the current draw of your most demanding accessories and you are both right - it must be "good" in terms of having a low resistance at those loads.

Wire all the way from the back to the engine bay should be "good" if you choose thick enough wire, less so on longer runs with thinner wire at which time it becomes an interior heater. But suitably specced, it's fine and also you can predict the conditions far better, you know for example that 4awg wire will offer about .25 ohm per foot and go from there, voltage drop from a charged battery over that distance will certainly be within tolerance.

However, the shell itself also can provide sufficient current, problem is it's more difficult to measure and less predictable, and often requires more ingenuity to get a good contact point. Hence why many people prefer running a wire. Personally I would have no problem with a local earth, in fact would prefer this option - it's more simple, less expensive and lighter. And done properly, just as effective.

dont forget if you do move the battery that the engine needs a good earth too......

just join up all your earths in one way or another under the bonnet and will be fine :)

Ian G said:
Personally I would have no problem with a local earth, in fact would prefer this option - it's more simple, less expensive and lighter. And done properly, just as effective.
exactly how i view it.

Quite a few cars have batterys in the boot from factory now and of the BMWs and a coupld of trackday cars ive seen, none had earth cables from front to rear, they just used a short earth cable to the shell.

on my russian trucks if you get a short anywhere on the truck it sets of a buzzer in the cab, have no idea how it works but it must be able to sense some sort of voltage change or current flow somewhere and off goes the buzzer, it is really clever....must look at a wiring diagram one of these days and see how it works...sorry nothing to do with the battery relocation but intersting all the same...

Latest posts

Back