Been shunted. Insurance salvage?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireFly90

Tuesday on the way back from Whitby I was hit from behind by someone who was also hit by a van. Insurance engineers wrote back saying it can't be fixed so they will collect it and scrap it. Could I salvage anything from it like parts or just leave it and wait for a settlement check??

You can probably negotiate buying it back if it's fixable with second hand parts and you're so inclined.

You could also buy it back if it isn't fixable and break it if you have the time space tools and skills

They said one of the chassis legs was bent at the back, and with the boot open it does seem like its pushed in on one side, the boot itself doesn't close properly (its held down with strap).

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

I'm not sure if i have the time to properly dismantle it and sell the parts, but it would be a shame to just scrap a whole 1.7 engine considering it was only the back that was hit.

If i took the engine out (and anything else of value) before they collected it would that cause an issue? And how much could i get for it and other 'valuable' parts?

Sorry to have read about your accident. Hope everyone is ok.

But can I ask why on earth we have to buy our own cars back from the insurance companies after an accident like this?
What gives the insurance companies the right to 'own' our cars that they never even paid for!?
I thought the idea of insurance was to protect our 'investment' not for these crooks to take it away and charge us to get it back!!?

Firstly unless they agree to sell it you, you cant just take stuff off it they own it if they are paying off your claim and you would be stealing parts off their car.

Secondly the thing you would think is the best item to have i.e the engine you will likely find takes months and months to sell and even then you wont get much for it, or at least that's my experience.

to make a reasonable amount from it you will have to be prepared to do a lot of work, have storage for a lot of parts, be prepared to post dozens and dozens of parts at small value and you'll still likely have some of it left in a year or more.

If any of the above doesn't sound like fun, don't bother.

quest63 said:
Firstly unless they agree to sell it you, you cant just take stuff off it they own it if they are paying off your claim and you would be stealing parts off their car.

Secondly the thing you would think is the best item to have i.e the engine you will likely find takes months and months to sell and even then you wont get much for it, or at least that's my experience.

to make a reasonable amount from it you will have to be prepared to do a lot of work, have storage for a lot of parts, be prepared to post dozens and dozens of parts at small value and you'll still likely have some of it left in a year or more.

If any of the above doesn't sound like fun, don't bother.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll just have to let the insurance do their thing.

What a horrible cold hearted waste, my first car that I've loved for the past 2 3/4 years reduced to nothing but scrap. I will miss her... ='(

It won't be scrapped ie. straight to the crusher, so you're not wasting the engine as such.

Whoever buys it off the insurer will no doubt do the stripping which as Gary correctly mentions is not quite the walk in the park to free money that it first appears.

Assuming it is allowed back on the road (I would think yes) you also have the option of retaining the salvage at which time you could attempt a repair. Its obviously taken a bit of a knock so its not just a case of fitting a boot lid and looking happy, I would think the rear panel would need re-visiting and the boot floor is also potentially taken a bit, but it almost certainly *could* be done with the right facilities.

CherryVimto said:
But can I ask why on earth we have to buy our own cars back from the insurance companies after an accident like this?
What gives the insurance companies the right to 'own' our cars that they never even paid for!?
I thought the idea of insurance was to protect our 'investment' not for these crooks to take it away and charge us to get it back!!?

Not quite - all the above assumes that a payout is already forthcoming.

They don't get it for free. If you've chosen to involve them and they have honoured their obligation to insure you then they'll be providing you with enough money to go and buy something similar. If you choose to give them some of it back and keep the car and fix it on the cheap, you can mostly do OK. You have a car which being on the register has probably halved its value but while they're too cheap at the moment you've only list £250 while the payout would be in the region of a grand or more to find a tidy one retail.

CherryVimto said:
Yep, it is truly bizarre. One day you might have the most minor of rear end shunts and suddenly some total stranger now owns your car? WTF? Can you imagine that happening with your house? It takes damage and some scam with the assessor means that someone else now owns your house?

Look at those photos above, does that look like a write off to you?

You hear about 'beyond economic repair' but by whom? For example, the other day I passing this garage - http://www.culverwells.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I just wanted to ask about some trivial job - you know their hourly rate? - £90 a hour. Is it really any wonder that older cars are being written off well before their time with this scam going on?

Possible useful information on this subject might be found here - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1185672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't read all of it, but if it was me then I'd cancel the claim and tell the insurance company to go **** themselves.

I assume you've not priced up insuring, licensing and staffing a body shop recently :lol:

And BTW its your car until you accept the offer.

As Ian says, you still own the car until you accept thier offer, no matter what they say to the contary. Even if its a fatality burnt out cat A wreck they cannot legally stop you from keeping the remains of the car. The entire car salvage code is a code of practice issued by the ABI and is not a piece of legislation.

Some insurers have a policy of not letting you keep the salvage but that is illegal and when someone takes the claim to the ombudsman, it is always found that the cars owner has a right to keep it and the insurers are allowed to deduct a fair amount for its salvage value from the settlement.

Only the police can sieze the car.

Latest posts

Back