best choice of cone air filter?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeno

Hi all, been looking to add an air filter to my 1.7 puma and was wondering what the opinions were of the forum.

Im looking for best price vs best performance vs best sound if possible.

Is it worth inserting a cold air intake also?

Im just doing little bits at a time as Im quite new to upgrading/modding so be kind!

I have been looking at piper x/K&N and ram air is there any others worth considering?

As you may know the first performance mod you can do to any standard engine is to improve the breathing..get the air/fuel mixture in and the exhaust gases out.
Thing is, it's not much point doing one without the other. Fitting an induction filter will only give you an increase in noise performance (ok if that's what you want).
In my opinion you would be better saving your money to put towards a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.
Then the FRP airbox mod should work to give you a bit more power.
Paul

Hi Paul thanks for the info, wasnt sure about doing a full system or just a cat back. Im kind of hoping to learn to do it myself which is why Im starting small

Hi xeno,
I recon the best air-filter mod is to use a k&n panel filter in your cars original airbox.

The FRP had a cold air feel from behind the bumper which people copy with a piece of gutter downpipe and some flex-pipe.
You can also bin the resonator box from inside the lid of your airbox.
I`m pretty sure there is a guide on here in the how-to`s

4-2-1, de-cat & system gives most power/££

Hi trublustu, i will be doing a filter change soon, so instead of changing the cone just binn the Box and replace the rectangular filter for a k&n?

Yeah, steer clear of a cone filter.
loads of noise but it gets hot under there and the engine would feel down on power
(cold air is denser than hot, therefore more oxygen to burn)
the frp mod is a good idea too for this reason.

I keep reading about these mods to the standard Puma airbox.Has anyone had a car on a R/Road before and after these basic mods.I'm not convinced there is any worthwhile gain in BHP or torque.Can someone put a graph on here for unbelievers to see.

gingerdave said:
I keep reading about these mods to the standard Puma airbox.Has anyone had a car on a R/Road before and after these basic mods.I'm not convinced there is any worthwhile gain in BHP or torque.Can someone put a graph on here for unbelievers to see.

Not sure on Puma, as I come from the land of boost, but its not about peak figures, its about sustainability, you want as much torque and WHP for as bigger span of rev range as possible, with better breathing and air flow, you will get that, although a cone filter is a backwards step, as increase air flow, but you are limited usually by diameter of MAF, as most restrictive point, so you want air to be as cold (dense) as possible.

Panel filter, or cone fitted in suitable sealed air box, and air flow as direct large and cold as possible, you then want to get rid of exhaust gas as quick as possible, things like wrapping to keep gasses as hot as possible so they flow quicker can have minor benefits, same as modified cams, that don't give best emmisions or economy, but best flow for fuel air in and exhaust gas out.

4-2-1 means you get better air flow, pipes all same length so optimum (do a search for scavenging) Turbo cars are a lot easier to make go faster :D

Lord B said:
gingerdave said:

Not sure on Puma, as I come from the land of boost, but its not about peak figures, its about sustainability, you want as much torque and WHP for as bigger span of rev range as possible, with better breathing and air flow, you will get that, although a cone filter is a backwards step, as increase air flow, but you are limited usually by diameter of MAF, as most restrictive point, so you want air to be as cold (dense) as possible.

Panel filter, or cone fitted in suitable sealed air box, and air flow as direct large and cold as possible, you then want to get rid of exhaust gas as quick as possible, things like wrapping to keep gasses as hot as possible so they flow quicker can have minor benefits, same as modified cams, that don't give best emmisions or economy, but best flow for fuel air in and exhaust gas out.

4-2-1 means you get better air flow, pipes all same length so optimum (do a search for scavenging) Turbo cars are a lot easier to make go faster :D
Yes i understand the benifits of Supercharging/turbo charging but i read on here people who claim their car is quicker with some very basic mods to filters etc,but it would be nice to see something a bit more scientific ie a Dyno chart before and after the mods.

gingerdave said:
Yes i understand the benifits of Supercharging/turbo charging but i read on here people who claim their car is quicker with some very basic mods to filters etc,but it would be nice to see something a bit more scientific ie a Dyno chart before and after the mods.

plenty of Dyno plots around net, on Volvo dyno days people have done side by side with different filter, things like manifolds isn't that easy as base line will change with air temps, but plot line would show benefits

Problem with a dyno is you are limited with air flow from a fan, recreating probably at best air flow at 30mph when load testing simulated at 100mph, so air flowing into a cone filter Vs standard air box differences won't be as noticeable as in real road conditions.

really need to get a decent mechanic and a group of people and book bruntingthorpe (its not massively expensive for testing) and pull data from OBD port on several back to back runs, change zorst, manifold, filters etc

no one simple mod will make your car go like its got rockets.
Each one will slightly improve (speed up) your car, so several sensible mods WILL make a noticable difference.

My car hasn`t had thousands (not even many hundreds) of pounds spent on it.
But it will leave a standard puma standing on track!

trublustu said:
Each one will slightly improve (speed up) your car, so several sensible mods WILL make a noticable difference.

What have you had done to your puma?

i mucked about alot with different mods and the 4-2-1 sounds really nice but felt like i lost abit of low down power,also seemed even flatter lower down with a decat,if your on it changing through the gears flat out its fine but if you come down the rev range to far its flat,i wouldn't rule out a cone filter either on heat wise make yourself a nice aluminum box with a cold feed,best filter iv'e had is a oil free stainless mesh good flow and no oil coating the MAF sensor.

Before any mods are done, a full stage 0 needs doing first, as you need to check base line is as good as possible, as often there is more power to be had get car in decent shape, than adding power mods to a car down on power, and worn leads, coils etc will just highlight weaknesses.

trublustu said:

Would think driver ability/lack of ability would be the biggest pointer on a trackday.Did one at Hethel awhile ago,my car Exige 300 bhp/ton.Lotus test driver in a car probably 100 bhp less made me and others look a complete twat.

Agreed one of our test drivers at work took me out in a LWB Jaguar XJ and made it seem like the fastest car in the world!

I fitted a cone filter and my pooma defo feels more responsive.I have got a good cold air feed going to it too.My cone filter mod cost me 5 quid for a bit of pipe to go from the air flow meter to the cone filter.I had a spare piper cross filter just lying about.

Yeh it sounds mint.

The only other mods are a mondeo mk1 2ltr throttle body.I had the cone filter fitted before the tb and the cf defo made a difference.I also fitted a cam breather filter too.

A woed of advise.Done listen to everyone on the internet.

A pic of the engine.

I made a shield to stop all the shite getting to the filter and ran a cold air feed pipe using the orginal pipe off the car.

Back