Best fitting wheels for daily driving

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerB

Hello; i am looking for some good wheels, i am a bit done with all the aftermarkets available, in fact i think most of them don't fit the Puma..
i already tried these they are Canonica's 16inch and 7.5 inch wide.

20160310_140723_zpsxihuyz6s.jpg

20160310_140645_zps495qr51k.jpg

I like the way they come out, but, don't like the fact they are so "open" looking from the sides. Also, they don't drive comfortable at all :s i read everywhere a puma should drive well on 16" but mine drives much better on its standard 15" wheels, maybe because the 16's are 7,5 inch wide? Maybe 7 inch wide would be better.
Anyway changed the whole thing again, better handling and just more comfort again.
20160311_181620_zpsbvllagta.jpg

Maybe OZ alloys would be great, in 7inch wide. Or just some more standard Ford wheels
i wondered what these would look like on a Puma. They are from a Fiesta S from 2008 in 6.5 inch wide so would defenitely need spacers but they look quite cool i think.
http://www.2dehands.be/auto-onderdelen-accessoires/autoaccessoires/velgen/4-velgen-zomerbanden-ford-fiesta-281374004.html
Can't find a decent picture and i suck at photoshop :)

Any suggestions ?

Personally I think the FZS wheels look really good on the puma. They are 6.5J ET46 so you'd need 6mm spacers to get the front face in the same place as the original wheels or 12mm to get the back face in the same place. But you may as well get bigger spacers to improve the looks whilst you're at it.

Okay thanks, will keep this in mind for my choice, i got some 20mm rear axle spacers lying around so np there. i like the wheels to fill the arches well (especially on the back of the car) Just need them to be comfortable enough for daily driving , for now.. :)

Hi, When fitting aftermarket wheels care should be taken not to increase the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combination,
So when moving the wheels up a low profile tyre is needed.
This often leads to an uncomfortable ride due to the small sidewall.
The offset of the wheel should always be the same as standard to keep the steering angles the same as standard.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...idth2=9.5&offset2=20&Submit=Calculate#content

john & Jake the dog said:
[post]348349[/post] Hi, When fitting aftermarket wheels care should be taken not to increase the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combination,
So when moving the wheels up a low profile tyre is needed.
This often leads to an uncomfortable ride due to the small sidewall.
The offset of the wheel should always be the same as standard to keep the steering angles the same as standard.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...idth2=9.5&offset2=20&Submit=Calculate#content

Think i found out what's wrong, the Canonica's are offset 22 and this is detrimental to the Puma's handling i suppose?
So i should better look for 7Jx16ET35 wheels right?

No. The thing is puma uses 6J wheels at ET34 mm . The limiting factor for you will always be the space inside of front wing. So your 7J ET35 wheel will actually move the inside for 13,25 mm (half an inch=12.25 plus additional 1 mm ET). At one point, that would start rubbing on full lock (perhaps not very that one, but one of aftermarket wheels).
You actually don't want your front track narrowed (what would happen if you fitted fiesta set of wheels with ET44, or Mk1 focus with ET52,5 mm) as that creates instability and completely ruines the handling and steering.
If you are thinking about OZ, go for ET25 (at 6.5J or 7J) and that would be OK. With less ET your wheel will stick out more (what you are after anyway), the steering might get a bit heavier (especially at manouvring and parking), but you won't lose but actually gain some additional stability

Thanks for clearing that out, i can understand narrowing the front track is not a good option. But i just don't understand how it comes that on 7,5 inch and ET 22 it don't drive well. Reading ur info they should just make the steering a bit heavier, yet they really make it harsch and not good in handling.. Maybe there is another issue, but can not think of one. I tried them on another Puma, and the result was the same. So the problem is definitely with the wheels itself

TylerB said:
[post]348510[/post] Thanks for clearing that out, i can understand narrowing the front track is not a good option. But i just don't understand how it comes that on 7,5 inch and ET 22 it don't drive well. Reading ur info they should just make the steering a bit heavier, yet they really make it harsch and not good in handling.. Is 7,5 inch too wide or maybe there is another issue, but can not think of one. I tried them on another Puma, and the result was the same. So the problem is definitely with the wheels itself

Thanks for clearing that out, i can understand narrowing the front track is not a good option. But i just don't understand how it comes that on 7,5 inch and ET 22 it don't drive well. Reading ur info they should just make the steering a bit heavier, yet they really make it harsch and not good in handling.. Is 7,5 inch too wide or maybe there is another issue, but can not think of one. I tried them on another Puma, and the result was the same. So the problem is definitely with the wheels itself

The car works best on the wheels ford supplied.

Even aftermarket 15x6.5j ET35 dont feel as "right" as standards.
Plus there`s the weight. Heavier wheels sap the power and dont suit the springs.

Out of the standard wheels, I rate the F1 wheel, as fitted to the Blacks and as an option.

They are produced by Borbet, not Ronal like the other Puma wheels.
They are not manufactured the same way and are really strong.
I bounce over racetrack kerbs in mine and have never buckled/dented one.

Choosing the right tyre will also affect how well the suspension works (Std springs like a stiffer tyrewall)

Just to add, it may just be the tyres on those wheels rather than the wheels themselves.

moondustka said:
[post]348520[/post] Just to add, it may just be the tyres on those wheels rather than the wheels themselves.

You might be right there as well, though they are not so old yet and have good profile. Might be worth trying others, had plans to buy me 4 new tyres soon anyway, thanks all for ur input i keep it in mind.

moondustka said:
[post]348520[/post] Just to add, it may just be the tyres on those wheels rather than the wheels themselves.

Hi, which tyres have you mounted on your cosworth wheels? Fitted now with 20mm spacers on the rear axle, and yes they drive wonderfull! What a difference to my other 16's so there must be something wrong with them. Just curious to know what the best tyre dimensions are for these cosworths. They are on 215/40 now.

20160330_200340_zps4grdn4b2.jpg

That's the size tyre I had (215/40/16). And yes drove ok, but I feel now I've gone to 195/50/15s it drives much better than when I had my escos wheels on. I now have compomotive wheels at ET40 but used hubcentric 20mm spacers all round. I don't have any rear beam spacers but I do have focus rear hubs for the disc brakes.

moondustka said:
[post]349027[/post] That's the size tyre I had (215/40/16). And yes drove ok, but I feel now I've gone to 195/50/15s it drives much better than when I had my escos wheels on. I now have compomotive wheels at ET40 but used hubcentric 20mm spacers all round. I don't have any rear beam spacers but I do have focus rear hubs for the disc brakes.

Just checked, I like the wheels you put on. I am aware it will drive better (smoothness) on 15" but i can live with it like it is now. Not noisy, not too harsch and handling is good. Did you lower yours with only springs or coilovers? Mine goes on -20mm H&R lowering springs now, i got a TA Technix coilover kit but i don't like it.

I have Gaz coilovers with damper adjustment. Lowered somewhat but I have no idea how much - I still have a reasonable arch gap though.

Back