Black paintwork

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

Just wondering.

I have a black vehicle, fresh from a respray last year. What would the knowledgeable people here use to keep it nice and shiny? I particularly hate anything that leaves a white deposit.

Really I need both something for a quick spruce up, and a wax for greater protection should I ever be motivated to do the polishing thing.

XIIVVX

Supaguard? Not used it personally but seems well thought of. Assuming it works on all colours but don't really know - worth investigating perhaps.

My OCD friend has 2 black cars. Both are immaculate and swirl free (as fresh resprayed paint should be). He uses Turtle wax colour magic (the black one) when he needs to give them a quick polish.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/turtle-wax-color-magic-plus-black-500ml

^^ That will polish the paint and hide any swirls already there.

Then on top of that to keep it sealed in (as that's only a polish and will wash a way pretty quickly) a decent long lasting wax - as I know how you hate constant washing!

Something like Collinite 476 which is about the longest lasting wax you'll get:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collinite-476-Paste-Wax-9oz-Voted-1-Auto-Express-Magazine-Free-Applicator-/261210648375?hash=item3cd15e2f37:g:wncAAOSwBLlU7c97

Or if your feeling flush - Auto Glym HD wax is about the easiest to apply / buff of that I've used and gives very good lasting protection:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/autoglym-high-definition-wax

Halfords are doing their 3 for 2 on car cleaning gear until June so a good time to stock up.

crystalpuma said:
[post]348245[/post] Is the above for any colour?

You get all sorts of colour magic colours.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/turtle-wax-color-magic-plus-dark-blue-500ml

Personally I use Swissvax Nior. It's goes on amazingly well, comes off without any white residue and as a bonus smells amazing. Not cheap though! I bought it when I had something nice, no wife and no children. That car is long gone sadly, so now I use it on the Puma too!!

Dal said:
He uses Turtle wax colour magic (the black one) when he needs to give them a quick polish.

That's interesting. I think I have the blue version of that somewhere in the shed from my FRP days

Dal said:
Then on top of that to keep it sealed in (as that's only a polish and will wash a way pretty quickly) a decent long lasting wax - as I know how you hate constant washing!

Ah, how well you remember me. But I don't mind polishing this one

Dal said:
Something like Collinite 476 which is about the longest lasting wax you'll get:

Or if your feeling flush - Auto Glym HD wax is about the easiest to apply

Halfords are doing their 3 for 2 on car cleaning gear until June so a good time to stock up.

I'll go and dither in Halfords - though these days I tend to spend more time in the cycling section - I have discovered trail riding on mountain bikes. That's very kit-intensive.You can spend more on a pushbike these days than on an FRP. £6,000 - £7,000 is not uncommon. I'm a cheapskate and bought mine second-hand for £300. But my legs don't really warrant spending more than that. But by the time you add clothing, shoes, hat, maintenance kit, etc, I have well doubled the initial spend.

This isn't what the polish is for by the way. :grin:

Nice Porsche XAF. How did you find it? A well second-hand one is on the consideration list for Mrs XIIVVX's commuter car.

I also use the blue Turtle Wax colour magic on the FRP. It does a great job in disguising the hundreds of tiny stone chip freckles on the front bumper.
Downside is you finish up with blue fingers, unless you wear gloves of course :)
Paul

Thanks! It was a 2005 Boxster S bought in 2011 with only 21k on the clock and full Porsche history. Absolutely loved that car, sound, drive, whole experience really. Sadly it was an indulgence and really didn't get used much, and I have a thing about maintaining dealer history so that stung a bit.

Sold it two years later for only £500 less than I paid for it so if you buy properly, with the right history and spec you'll not go wrong. I'd love another and when the FRP is finished and I get the wife really, really drunk so she agrees, I'd love to have another! The flat six noise at full chat is intoxicating

I use poorboys black hole wax it's awesome and super fun say to use, I polish with meguires ultimate :)

Black Hole is a glaze so you'll still need a wax or sealant over it to "lock in" the filling other wise it'll just wash away if it rains. :thumbs:

XAF said:
The flat six noise at full chat is intoxicating

I know.

I miss the spine-tingling noise of my 996, hence the inclusion of a Boxster on Mrs XIIVVX's candidate list.

I doubt I'd be able to keep depreciation that low as she'll clock up a good few miles.

Back