Black screen laptop

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P7TNY

As the title suggests black screen on my laptop, I tried to Google and find a cure last night on my laptop, very difficult to read, could be back light, could be settjgs defaulting in shut down.

Have brought laptop to work to set it up on docking station see if I can do any thing with it using a monitor etc.

Wish me luck…!

IS it the same regardless of whether it's running on battery or mains?

Yes the same mate, the Laptop works, able to acess internet just a really dark screen!?

Going to search on google later when I get the chance and set up docking station see if calvin or katie has been messing with the display settings

Its not going to help, but a funny trick to play...

when a collegue nips off for a coffee, leaving their computer on.

simply press & hold ctrl, Alt then press down arrow.

flips the screen upside down! lol

(ctrl, alt, then up arrow to flip back)

left & right arrows have a similar effect! lol

Are you sure that someone hasn't just turned the brightness down on the laptop screen?

On a Dell, it's holding the blue FN key bottom left and the little sun symbols top right in blue.

spike. said:

simply press & hold ctrl, Alt then press down arrow.

flips the screen upside down! lol

(ctrl, alt, then up arrow to flip back)

left & right arrows have a similar effect! lol

I tried that on mine and it doesn't work....lol

spike. said:

A better one is to use the Print screen function to take a picture of the whole desktop, icons etc....

and then set that picture as the desktop background... person comes back and cant work out why none of their icons etc work.

:p

I saw this once at work and the guy needed a new screen.

It uses a different output from the motherboard for the external monitor connection.

Guy got the screen replaced under warranty and as good as new.

Although it may not be this and it should be investigated :)

i used to work in a computer repair shop and this mainly means the invertor for the cold cathode back lighting tube has died. either you source ebay for the invertor, or most people will replace the entire screen.

It may not be very clear but the lcd screen's light actually is using the same technology as the cold cathode lighting people use for "pimping" their cars :)

So, get the screen replaced, or get the invertor replaced. you cannot get a screen shot of the problem as it is not software related :)

As Elvin says...almost definitely the backlight inverter rather than the backlight itself...

If you can take the machine apart you could change it yourself.

Latest posts

Back