Bogging down at high speed??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groggz

Hello, hoping someone can help, I was driving the other day at motorway speeds. 80ish accelerated and the car just bogged down. Slowed down for a bit and all seemed OK then it bogged down at about 70.I've looked around the internet and thought it could be the maf so cleaned that along with the idle control valve. I thought this made the engine start nicer but noticed the bogging again at 50-60mph the other day.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
It's a 1.7.
Cheers guys

I think you might need to explain the term 'bogged down' in far more exact detail for people to be able to help you.

As Frank says, some more info would be useful.

1st broad guesses would be either ignition (coil pack / leads), fuel (filter) or outside chance of an exhaust?

I had an old mondeo once that would not rev over 3000 - popping pipes and all sorts. Turned out it had a replacement catalytic converter previous to my ownership and the remnants of the old one were clogging the exhaust system and restricting revs / breathing. A £50 replacement exhaust and it was a new car.

Thank you for getting back to me, when I say bogged down, I accelerate but the car slows it's like engine braking when changing down but I'm not and the revs just fall away. The car has been serviced recently.
Does that help?
thanks again

Update I've got an odb2 reader and torque pro, it's throwing up the P1381 fault code, what are the fixes for this?
I've only had a quick play with the app but it was suggesting the motor was putting out 85bhp does this sound a reasonable loss for a 13 year old car?

P1381 Cam Timing Over Advanced can be caused by the timing being out. e.g cam belt jumped a tooth but that would give you consistently poor performance rather than intermittent. Maybe it could be caused by the VCT pulley/solenoid operation? If you are lucky it could be a dodgy connector onto the solenoid on top of the cam cover. Worth checking it's on firmly and/or clean the contacts with contact cleaning spray.

bob

air flow meter, cam sensor can cause this an ive had a Nissan in the past I worked on an it did roughly what your describing an through up all sorts of codes an ended up being the cam sensor an the air flow meter the a few days later the crank sensor went a car wouldn't start, anyway its a place to start an with the price for these parts its a cheapo fix if these are at fault. but with the code being for the timing of sorts its a chance its the sensor, also could be the throttle position sensor, the fingers inside can scrub the contact area an cause problems but that's a long shot for what your describing.

Back