boost controller

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpantz83

can anyone recommend whats best to use on puma turbo conversion
any links would be appreciated thanks

i have been but not been able to get hold of him in last couple weeks and ive only got 2 weeks to get all parts in

Looks like a glorified bleed valve to me that just happens to recycle the "metered" air ... why not get a decent electronic boost controller ? either standalone ECU / valve or a value managed by a suitable ECU ? (the Puma's ECU isn't suitable)

Agreed its better than the old traditional simple bleed valve - but its still no where near as good as electronically controlled boost eg for example a decent electronic boost controller with electronic valve can control the level of boost depending on gear - handy if you like you gearbox / clutch / driveshafts to last more than 5 minutes with a decent amount of torque.

yep electronic is a option but cost alot more, i know a few people with 1.7 turbo conversions and they have manual boost controllers with no problems,i havent driven mine far since fitting the boost controller but its gone more than 5 minutes without wracking the gearbox or clutch or drive shafts lol.

The electronic boost controller is very good, helps to give progressive power delivery, and if you want to wire switches to gear selectors or have a speed signal fitted to it, you can have less torque in 1st few gears. But i love the hard hitting turbo kick, and your right, its not the best treatment for your drivetrain component, but the problem most turbo cars have is lag, so ideally you want your usable power to come in as soon as possible. For simplicity, the ball and spring type valve is the best, although the bleed type valve is useful on an external wastegate set up. You can use the air thats bled off to keep the diaphragm pressurised and stop wastegate creep if the spring is not very strong.

But in general uncomplicated terms, id have to go with Madhillbilly and say for simplicity, and cost effectiveness, the ball and spring type are really good. Thats the style ive used on every one of my set ups, and its worked really well.

Back