Bouncy Front End

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLaw

A couple of months ago I purchased the: G-Max Suspension Kit -30mm Puma [40 FO 22]

I also sourced a range of parts to be replaced at the same time as the suspension; these are as follows:

• PSB rear beam bushes
• Rear suspension top mounts
• Flo-Flex front wishbone (top & bottom) and anti-roll bar bushes
• New track rod ends and tie bars
• New anti-roll bar links
• 2 x CV gaiters
• Front suspension top mounts
• 2 x spring vibration dampers (Ford OEM)

Since the installation of the above the front of the car is very bouncy – even on flat roads such as the motorway – in fact its “scary” at times to say the least.

The back end of the car is as solid as it should be.

All of above was installed by a garage.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Are all of the parts that I purchased required i.e. are the spring vibration dampers required with aftermarket suspension, etc.;

2. Could it be the Flo-Flex bushes causing the problem i.e. the bouncing and would changing to something like Powerflex resolve the situation?

The G-Max setup was brand new going into the car at the same time as the above kit.

The first day I drove it after it had been done and since it is bouncy.

Could brand new shocks really be shot already?

Stranger things have happened but the bouncy and dangerous is how I would have described my last Fiesta when a rear shock spewed it's guts. There's a section of the M1/A1 link near us that has a concrete surface and at anything over 50 it felt like the back end was going to come around.
Barry

AshLaw said:
[post]353037[/post] The G-Max setup was brand new going into the car at the same time as the above kit.

The first day I drove it after it had been done and since it is bouncy.

Could brand new shocks really be shot already?
Don't know this brand,i assume they are adjustable and set to a firmer setting?

No - they're non adjustable - they lower the car by 30mm all round and come as a spring and shock setup.

The only other thing I can think of is if they supplied the wrong springs with too high a spring rating and they're overwhelming the dampers. Did the struts come fully assembled or did the garage have to assemble them, possibly damaging them in the process?
Barry

The garage assembled them (I have used this garage for over 20 years - never a problem).

This the item (as sold on the PumaBuild website (which is where I bought them from)): http://pumabuild.com/pumacat/product_info.php?products_id=946

done that - solid as a rock.

I'm wondering whether its the Flo-Flex bushes causing it - may have to splash out on some Powerflex?!

If the symptoms are as you say "bouncy" I can't see it being the bushes I would say it's spring rate, bad damping or a broken ARB/link.
Barry

The "bounciness" is on both sides at the front - so I would assume that we're talking about the shocks / springs are at fault.

yes - well they had to after fitting new tie bars and track rod ends.

maybe worth getting it re-checked, harder shocks and bushes can upset the way cars handle

Have you checked the springs are the right way up? Tight coil spacing at top wider coil spacing at bottom. Or something as simple as tyre pressures to high?

Took the car back into the garage who have checked out the front suspension.

They found nothing wrong with the front suspension - the CV joints are fine, as are the shocks and springs, bushes, etc.

The only thing he did say was that maybe (and it was a big maybe) the front suspension arms need replacing.

What do you think?

Latest posts

Back