Bouncy Front End

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you still got your original front shock assemblies? Only way to find out for sure it to eliminate things one by one.

If you have, put them back on and see if it still bounces. If it does at least you can rule them out and move on to something else.

no - do not have them anymore.

the only thing the garage did to the car was grease the springs - in case they were "grabbing"?

Went to Eastbourne yesterday (150 mile round trip).

No bounce from the front suspension - so maybe the greasing did the job.

Now need to get the FRP box in for that little extra grunt. :grin:

Went to Eastbourne yesterday (150 mile round trip).

No bounce from the front suspension - so maybe the greasing did the job.

Now need to get the FRP box in for that little extra grunt. :grin:

Where did they put the grease exactly?

Usually this is something that occurs with coilovers at the base or at the cap at the top of the spring and it affects steering as the springs get stuck and try to wind themselves up.

This usually isn't a problem for fixed shocks and springs as the spring is held in place in the pre-formed cups.

Interesting that it's affected the bounciness!

The grease has been sprayed around the bottom of springs (the base).

Update on this post:

After 5 months of not being happy with the G-MAX bouncy setup - I rang Alan at PumaBuild (which is where I bought the G-MAX setup from), explained the problem and was met with "can't diagnose the fault without seeing them" - to which I replied "I live 220 miles from you" to which the reply came "return them back to the manufacturer then".

After several attempts to get in contact with both G-MAX and MotorSpeed - without success - I then rang Alan at PumaBuild again to find that Mountney Ltd now own G-MAX.

Spoke to someone at Mountney (although they insisted that I shouldn't be speaking to them as I am a PumaBuild customer and not theirs) and they asked me "can I push the front end of the car down" to which I replied that I can push the front and rear of the car down quite a way - their reply was that I should not be able to push the car down at all and that the shocks / springs must be faulty.

So, on Wednesday this week my mechanic is removing the suspension setup on my car, and I am boxing them up so that PumaBuild (who have arranged a courier) can pick them up on Thursday and deliver them to Mountney - who are going to test them (how?) and determine whether they are faulty or not.

If they are faulty, they will send a new set.

My mechanic and I are hoping that the new set is not the same as the old set (we will know immediately if they are) and they'll be straight off (as my mechanic is also concerned that maybe the quality of G-MAX suspension is not as good as it should be / used to be.

P.s. since the installation of these shocks I have noticed odd squeaks inside the car - that really shouldn't be there. I have also noticed when braking at speeds around 40-20 mph that the car seems to rock (backwards / forwards). The bounce from the shocks / springs is worse at low speeds (below 70 mph) but seems to stiffen up at / over 70 mph.

The back end of the car seems really wayward - like the bushes are shot (but these were replaced with PSB Poly Bushes) at the same time as the shocks / springs.

I realise this doesnt help your present situation,but living in Kent would it not have been wiser to have used Gaz or Burtons .Both are just over the river from you and both companies are very helpfull face to face.

gingerdave said:
[post]356360[/post] For your suspension parts....?

Thanks for the heads up with these people - but at the time they were way over my budget.

would incorrectly fitted rear suspension cause the front end of the car to bounce?

Latest posts

Back