Brake bleeding help needed

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsbegood

Hi guys. Looking at renewing my sisters brake and clutch fluid as I'm not sure it has ever been done. Worrying considering she's had the car for almost 5 years. It's a 51 1.7 manual. I've got an eezibleed kit which I used on my passat. Problem being is the puma has drum brakes and a clutch. If I was to replace/renew the fluid what type? Dot 4? Where is the bleed nipples on the rear drums and do I need to bleed the clutch bleed valve whilst renewing the fluid?
Cheers
Paul

Yes Dot 4 is fine.
You shouldnt need to do the clutch at the same time. Its different to the brakes anyway as far as I know.

As for the rears I am unsure. Never had to bleed a car with drums on the rears. Post up how you get on as I will need to do it at some point.

I thought dot 4 should do it. The passat, with a clutch is the same, u shouldn't have to touch it if ur just doing the brakes.
I would suppose the drums would have to have a bleed nipple somewhere to allow bleeding.
Will reply back.
Thanks

Bleed nipple for cylinder in drum brake is at the rear of the backplate. You can see the cylinder position in this internal view:

Normal fluid spec is Dot 4, but as you should be changing all the system fluid, you can change to Dot 5.1 if you wish ( it's only around £1 per litre more expensive at Halfords. Bleed the clutch fluid as well, because brakes and clutch share the same reservoir. Carefully done, you should get this done with just under 1 litre, but I would get one and half to be safe. If you get it from Halfords you can take the half litre back for a refund if you don't use it.
Bleed the system in the correct order and ensure you disconnect the battery before starting and do not reconnect until finished.

Cheers Rick. I have a Haynes manual for fiesta 95-02 to guide me. Where is the clutch bleed nipple? Take the sequence is rear passenger, rear drivers, front passenger then front drivers then clutch??

Haynes Fiesta - Braking system 9.3 has correct brake bleeding sequence. LH Rear, RH Front, RH Rear, LH Front.
Braking system 9.8 (Brake caliper) explains why you should disconnect the battery.
Doesn't matter if you bleed the clutch before or after the brake system.
Clutch 6.3 has pics of slave cylinder bleed nipple position. It's underneath the car where the gearbox attaches to engine.

Cheers. I've read through these sections. Had trouble though deciphering the picture of the bleed nipple for the clutch. Is it more obvious though if I stuck my head under the car?
My passat was easy, 4 calipers with easy to spot bleed nipples and no clutch to worry about.

You should see it easily enough when you're under the car, just locate the flexible pipe attached to the slave cylinder.

Oh, ok I'll have a look. Is there any advice to be heard of if I use a gunson eezibleed pressure bleeder? Used one on my passat. All was goin well up untill the brake fluid reservoir went pop and brake fluid sprayed over my engine bay. Turns out oldish reservoirs become brittle and are easy to pop under pressure. Opps.

no should be fine, think the wheel tyre needs to be 22psi done it loads of times on mine ok

nothing wrong with the old fashioned way but iv found pressure based way to be more effective, iv known air still left in after pedal pushing technique

Thanks guys. These forums are great. I use ukpassats.com when I have issues with my motor. Doing the front wheel bearing this Friday as that's buggered. Mechanic friend said he'd press the bearing out and a new one in for free. Who u know not what u know I suppose. Thanks again.

bleed the clutch last as if you look at the resivoir the top pipe is for the clutch so if level falls below this whn bleeding the brakes the clutch would need to be bled again you will have 3 different size bleed valves the back ones behind the drum are 7mm the fronts are 11mm and the clutch is either 10 or 11 mm i think hope this helps you out my wife is the bleeder lol

Jason

:p :thumbs: :eek:k:

Back