brake conversion - Focus mk1 to Puma?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roda

I'm interested in the option and am only thinking of the front discs, calipers etc.., I'll leave the rear as it is. Is it an easy fit? do I need longer nuts or something, or has anyone done the same - Focus MK1 standards to Puma? I would go for the ST150 s that I've seen are easy fit and very good, bu can not find ones (used) and don't want to buy new...

Thanks in advance!

If I`m not mistaken the standard mk1 focus had virtually identical brakes to the puma.
The ST170 had 300mm discs and that is a popular option, but expensive (suits lots of Fords) and you would need bigger wheels.
You can use ST170 discs and Mk3 Mondeo calipers which is a damn site cheaper, but you`d still need new wheels.

I have used 280mm Mk1/2 Mondeo V6 discs and calipers.
They are more than up to everything 1`ve thrown at them on track and they fit behind stansard wheels too...

Standard Mk1 focus has the same 258 mm discs ad the later puma model, but the calipers are TOTALLY different. The upgrade options are: fiesta ST150 conversion (including 280 mm front discs) which fits under the 15" wheels (the prop ones need 3 mm spacers to clear the calipers, the other 15" like millenium or thunder of F1 not).
The other option is focus ST170 front 300 mm discs and either ST170 front calipers or mondeo front calipers (Mk2 if we don't count the facelifted mondeo of first generation as Mk2). This brake upgrade WON'T on its own fit under 15" wheels, although some members have grinded calipers to fit under 15 inch wheels (just)

So what would be the best option then?

St170 discs
Mk3 Mondeo callipers?

These would fit under 15" wheels?

Looking for a cheap upgrade myself.

Does it all go straight on no messing?

Hello mad..

The 300mm Mondy/170 hybrid upgrade is very popular and would work well.
To fit under 15" wheels you need to grind the caliper carriers back and redrill your carrier bolt holes.

I went for the slightly smaller 280mm V6 mk1/2 Mondeo option.
This fits under all the 15" wheels with room to spare. Although you need a 3mm spacer to go behind the disc and to drill the hubs.

As for disc and pad choices. I set this conversion up with some cheapo pads and whatever discs came off the Mondy, with the intention of fitting vented/grooved discs and brembo pads once I had it running properly.

The rubbish pads have quite simply refused to wear out and stopping power is greatly improved
(possibly due to the Puma weighing about half a ton less than the V6 Mondeo that the brakes were designed to stop.

I`ll be fitting some decent pads before my next track outing, but will not bother with the grooved discs, as they eat through pads like no-bodys business!
(unless they are free, and even then I`ll hang on to the std discs just in case pad wear is unacceptable.

Hope this helps, Stu..

I was after a simple upgrade tbh. If I can get fiesta ST callipers and discs they are a straight swap with some decent hoses?

Don't want to go 300mm really as its too much of a headache really.

Is it best to get the garage to bleed them afterwards?

Its not complicated, just involved...
These thing are what stop you crashing your car, so its just a case of getting it right

As long as you don't let air into the abs unit, bleeding is easy.
its well worth putting cling film over the reservoir and boxing the ones somehow while you are working, to stop the fluid draining out.

Focus ST170 300mm Discs, Not expensive relatively speaking.
Mk3 Mondeo calipers but will need the Hubs drilling out to fit the larger Caliper bolts. Easy to do.
Mondeo cailpers have less performance pad choice than Focus ST170 calipers but to be honest i have the Mondeo calipers with Mintex pads and unless you want to stop something bigger than the Titantic i have never had any problems stopping--PERIOD!!
In fact i thought the front of the car was kissing tarmac and i was about to be ejected through the window it was that impressive.

Forgot to add, after the upgrade and bedding in the pads the braking was much MUCH!! better but the pedal feel was still a bit lame. Old mechanic buddy told me to take the rear drums off, and remove with a half round file any ridge/lip on the inside edge of the hub. Then before refitting manually adjust the brake shoes with a flat screw driver on the self adjusting wedge until the brake shoes are a nice tight fit. Took a few attempts to get it so it wasn't too tight but eventually with the hubs back on i could just about turn them by hand (JUST ABOUT WITH A GROAN) so they were a good snug fit.

You'll no doubt like me think they were too tight and cause heat to build up but trust me a quick run up and down the road stamping on the brakes soon loosened them off a bit. Adjusted the handbrake so that was 1/2 clicks to being fully on.
The difference was amazing. Pedal travel reduced and confidence on the braking was brilliant. I have only had to re-adjust this once in over a year as obviously the rear shoes wear a little so i took up the slack manually as opposed to trusting the self adjuster. Again brake pedal much better feel.

Genuinely didn't think it would work especially since i was dealing with the rear drums when my concern was the front brakes and that the crappy Puma brakes were just meant to be a poor pedal feel. World of difference is the only way to describe it.

A lot of people tend to complain about crap pedal feel after upgrading to mondeo/focus calipers. This is due to the larger piston size of the calipers. To regain the correct feel, the Master cylinder needs up rating too to match. Pumas use a 23mm master whereas the mondeos use a 25mm master. It is a straightforward swap for the whole master and servo assembly and improves the feel massively. I've done this to both of my pumas and it's great. Another thing which would help would be to either fit larger rear wheel cylinders or rear disc conversion.

hi ive done a conversion different to every body else and have used FORD FIESTA ST RS TURBO ST200 300MM BRAKE CALIPER CONVERSION. You can get these calipers off ebay for £50 you only need to do 3 things the bolts that come with it are 15mm head and you have to drill your your holes out on the hub. You need to drill them to 12mm then get some focus st170 discs (300mm) they were reduced from £66.00 to £22.00 on ebay so the whole conversion cost £72.00 the only other thing you need to adjust is the bolts need cutting down a few mill as you put the bolt in and it comes out the back close to the disc but its easy to do then just bleed your system i will be putting this on my project page (project puma mk2 1.7 melina blue) with photos of every step how to do them. as soon as i took the puma out for a test drive i was suprised how good they are pedal not at all spongey but just right.

:pose2: :eek:k:

Fiesta STs have 280mm front discs and Fiesta RS Turbos have 240mm so that'll never fit on an ST170 front disc

Hello , can anyone help me out plz..
I don't need the 300mm update but I would like to have the 258 mm front discs on my old puma like the later models have.
I am looking for the right finis codes to get me a pair of calipers first. Anyone knows? This is what i found:

Am I correct or not?

In case I am, would these work?
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Bremssattel-vorne-rechts-Ford-Fiesta-6-VI-JD3-JH1-1126290-/401055550764?hash=item5d60c60d2c:g:n9UAAOSw5dNWmJ14
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Bremssattel-vorne-links-Ford-Fiesta-6-VI-JD3-JH1-1126292-/252251641171?hash=item3abb5e9553:g:jUsAAOSwa-dWmJ2i

Hillzy2k said:
[post]330758[/post] A lot of people tend to complain about crap pedal feel after upgrading to mondeo/focus calipers. This is due to the larger piston size of the calipers. To regain the correct feel, the Master cylinder needs up rating too to match. Pumas use a 23mm master whereas the mondeos use a 25mm master. It is a straightforward swap for the whole master and servo assembly and improves the feel massively. I've done this to both of my pumas and it's great. Another thing which would help would be to either fit larger rear wheel cylinders or rear disc conversion.

Do you have any more details/pic of the servo/master cylinder setup you mention?

Erroll is basically usinf FRS brake setup and has put on his monster car a mondeo Mk3 servo and master cylinder. He is very happy with the setup now AFAIK. Perhaps you could check his thread http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10961

Back