Building a track car after christmas. Pics to follow.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I hope to get a few in next year. I think itll up set the bigger cars through the bends just lacks top end

Fordmad! said:
I did wonder about the Bluefin as not many people have it so I read.

Also been told only the lower front brace is really worth having as the others arnt that goo.

For what id save on the braces I could get ST callipers and discs.

Also read that the rear axle bushes are best off being standard as the rides too harsh...?

Ill look into the manifold

Go for a full set of braces, you will feel the difference but you are right that the lower front is the best to get, so start with that one.

Deffo fit powerflex rear bushes as well, its the one of the "must do" mods for a track car. Go for a full set of bushes, but if you cant stretch to get the front wishbone rear bush then there is a cheaper one from FloFlex - they do the rest of the bushes as well

Yes think i'll start with the lower one and see if I can pick the others up second hand in time.

I'll just get a full set of powerfle bushes then, the rear axle bushes are COMPLETLY shot theres no rubber left on them.

Cheers for the advice!

the floflex ones are cheapest all the prices I quoted were from items currently listed on ebay new. Lord B got it spot on...handling is the key to making these cars quick. in order to catch the big boys with speed you need to spend a couple of grand on engine mods.

a few hundred spent on handling mods will give 50% of track day drivers a run for their money but will also beat a fast car poorly driven. I used to get a lot of drivers come and ask what engine I had...nowadays I think they don't bother because of the way it looks...they expect it to be quick lol.

The manifold and exhaust will make a big difference to the engine response. It is something you will really notice.

So power flex or flo flex?

Is there anywhere that does both the manifold and exhaust system together?

Either or, there the same product with a different logo.

You'll be in good company on here building a track car, most of the project threads seem to be track cars now! mine included!!

Right okay.

Yeah so I see. I think its becase they are so cheap and a good all rounder!

Yes have read your thread, nice car you have too!

Only deciding to track it as its probably too far gone to re sell as not really worth much and don't want to scrap it!

The powerflex black series of bushes are stiffer than both the regular (purple) powerflex and the (orange) flo-flex.
They are a bit more expensive too.
For rear bushes you are looking at
Orange - @£30
Purple - @£60
Black. - @£80
I got Orange in all my front and will have Blacks in the rear before Oulton in the spring..

Good luck with this build, you'll love the Puma on track. I think you mentioned above but worth saying again, definitely include a brake upgrade in your list of mods with decent pads and that will help you get around quicker and help keep you out of the gravel when lesser brakes would have faded or given up! Lol.
Look forward to seeing more updates.

Right picked I up Saturday, here she is :? cost me £80 in the end!

It needs,

Leak in the passenger well sorting.
Rear beam bushes doing. (Any advice would be good on this and the above)
I have a set of mondeo alloys to go on her eventually
Ive a list of upgrades I want too do but this will be as and when time and money allows

Started stripping it straight away, ended up with this lot

Weighed 51kg altogether. Hoping to loose around another 30-40kg soon overall.

Im keeping the dash, heaters and stereo as I want it to be functional too.

Im not going for an immaculate track car as some others on here as my rs2k takes up most of my money and time and also have the transit for work so they need most of my money.

Sneaky snap

All of the interior bar the front seats and dash. Also a few bits out of the engine bay

Still have rear wiper to strip out and sound deadening so hoping that will be 8-10kg. Get rid of the seats so should half the weight of them. Going to cut out most of the rear panelling inside that's not needed too. So I reckon I can shed another 30-40kg in total. I took it out quickly today and it picks up soo much better now its lighter.

I stripped the interior/underbonnet at first too. nice to know what was in that initial strip out.

The cabin soundproofing weighs 7 kg, with3 more behind the heater/dash.
The aircon and power steering pumps are 6.5 kg each. I binned both and the heater matrix and binned another 22kg from under the bonnet.
with the spare/headlights (another 18kg)
I have a cut down and stripped out dash which will save @5kg and the heater box will go too (just a gonna fit fan and vents + I`ve a heated screen.)
I will be removing all unnessesary brackets in the car with a spotweld drill, but the panels will be kept whole till I get it caged.
I`ll strip a couple of kg out of both bumpers too & bucket seats will save 20kg!

My target (pre cage) is 875kg

Yes I weighed it all in pounds on my fishing scales then converted it haha.

Im leaving the dash for now as I want heaters and a radio. Im also going to thin the bumpers down. Cant belive how heavy the front seats are they definatly need to go.

My first aim though is to get an MOT on it as it just ran out.

Power steering will stay in time the air con may go.

Whats the kerb weight of a puma?

Latest posts

Back