Calliper clean

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSparta

Ello again all. While I was fitting my shiny new wheel nuts I decided to have a look at the front callipers as ive had an itch to make them yellow.

I asked about those calliper covers you see in ebay and I got a resounding "OH GOD NOOO" so back to painting them it is :thumbs:

They dont look tooooo bad i dont think in terms of condition

What do you reckon best method to prep? Brake cleaner and a wire brush? I want to try and at least get the relatively smooth before I paint them.

Also other then the obvious parts like the disks are there any parts on the callipers I need to leave untouched? bare in mind I would be taking them off for this as I have neither the skill or luck lol.

Also will a spray be better then a brush?

Thankfully the disks need changing soon anyway so at least I wont have to worry about the rusty bits on the hub fronts for long :D

Quite honestly, if you have neither previous expirience, nor luck (as you say) I would stronlgy advise to leave PUTTING BACK together to someone who has done it before. Brakes are critical part of a car.
Now, to clean them and paint them you would need to get them off the car. That means you'll lose some brake fluid plus you'd need bleeding brakes later.
How looks dismantled brake caliper? Have a look here: http://gallery.projectpuma.com/album_cat.php?cat_id=10&sort_method=p.pic_time&sort_order=DESC&sid=917e6a8a42dcd8e31a2d048409024d0b&start=160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is not a rocket science; just be very carefull with the slidiing pins and pistons. It might be a good idea to renew oll the seals...
Have a look at the process here: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7888&hilit=brake+refurb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The principle is the same....

Back