Cam belt service complete - Never again

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordFan

Feeling really pleased with myself today.

I finally finished the cam belt kit service which included water pump, rocker gasket and aux belt with the help of my father and she is now running as sweet as a nut. I must admit that the service was a major pain in the rear regions doing all the work with the car on axle stands. Being the first time for a belt change even though the car has fsh & 72k on the clock, most bolts were rock solid, which added much time to the job.

She should be good to go for another five years at least, but I don't intend on doing another one, it will go into a garage next time. But it does feel satisfying to have completed it and looking forward to giving my car it's first proper blast in my ownership.

Images will go on a project thread soon.

I also resolved my boot release issue after skinning my hands, so now having a well earned beer!

Cheers mate, brave or stupid I am not sure which, but having got the car for a great price I didn't have that much to lose really. My dad is a retired mechanic but he had never done a vct before, for sure I couldn't have done it without him or a guide I found listed on here. These 1.7s really are a tight squeeze.

This forum really is the best.

Your dad is very useful to have around,could save you a lot of dosh and yeah they are tight to work on lol.

you will find project puma very useful aswell,anything you need you just post it on the forum and there is always someone willing to help :grin:

Yes he is the best, very handy to fall back on when I get stuck.

Just took her out for a run and what a blast these little cars really are, sticks to the road well. I thought it would seem sluggish compared to my previous fast fords but it sure does out a smile on your face. What a bang for your buck!

Back