Cam belt service

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpettigrew

Hi all,

As i am heading off to spain on monday , I decided it was the ideal opportunity to get the Service done and the dreaded cam bet. I did some shopping around and the garage across the road from work quoted £336 including vat and a 10% discount. I thought this was about right but called my usual trusted man and he's quoted me £150 labour, £70 for the kit (Tensioners, Belt, Aux belt etc.) and £45 for the service.

In summary:

Motor Marque (Leeds) £336 Untrusted and Unknown!
Station Motors (Doncaster) £265 Known and loved.
Local Fraud (Ford) dealer £422 No comment

Think there is no decision really as my usual garage in Doncaster has been servicing the car for years and the guy loves the car so much he offers to buy it everytime it goes in! and he's an ex-ford mechanic with more years experience than i am old!

Any thoughts?

As long as the guy at Station Motora knows what he's doing (as he might do being ex-Ford) then go with him. Your only paying for the different labour rates really.

If he loves your car, then he'll take care of it :eek:k:

Never had a bad one from him yet, he's even doing the collect and delivery from my parents house. He didnt even complain about it being 10 miles. Any chance to drive a Puma i'd say!

I had the cam belt done recently...got the guy to do the alt belt at the same time...£200. He commented on the fact that some parts are reasonably priced on the Puma 'cos you can use Fiesta parts...sometimes they're not...think the cam belt kit fell into the latter category...something about the engine being made by...Kawasaki?? Think that's what he said...sorry forgotten I know it was a Japanese name & it made me think of motorbikes...(as you can tell I don't know a lot about cars!)

Close; it was a Ford engine sent to Yamaha for improvement ;)

And yep the cambelt isn't common between fiestas and the 1.7 Puma because of the VCT. The other engine Pumas can use fiesta belts as far as i'm aware.

well i'm back from spain and the car was waiting for me on the drive. in the end £320 all in as he found a couple of minor bits needed doing, he did the aux belt at the same time. Drives well and i'm happy. Booked return flights to spain for crimbo too!!

Back