Cambelt change - need a recommendation

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoisy

Can anyone recommend a garage who have a clue about the 1.7 engines and can change a cambelt and waterpump?
The car's nearly hit 100k and I want to give her a fighting chance of a few more miles so looking to have this done, new rocker cover gasket, tensioner, aux belt etc.

I tried local Ford dealer but their quote was laughable at best and given my experience with my Mk3 Focus RS, honestly I'm not sure I'd even trust them to do it right anyway.
I'm on the Surrey / Hampshire / Berkshire border in Bracknell - would anyone be able to recommend me someone good who doesn't charge the earth?

Cheers

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=9116

Dal said:
[post]364628[/post] https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=9116
Hi Dal, thanks but I'd already checked the list and there's not much there that's particularly close.
JJ Motors appear to be going downhill / for sale based on that thread, and the only other garage nearby in Purley is 45 miles away. I'm sure someone on here must have had something done closer!

I don't know how long it takes to get to Purley....

But It only takes me an hour to get to the Bracknell athletics track, which means that Tremona, Southampton is about an hour away from you. I have used them for over ten years, and they have done two cambelt changes on my Thunder, one of which included all the ancillaries, and work on three other of my cars. I would trust them with anything, and would say it is worth the travelling.

+1 for Tremona.

I live in Reading and I take mine down to Tremona Garage in Southampton. Probably the best independent Ford garage on the South Coast. Well worth the journey.

Chris above is also excellent - albeit bit of a mission up to Nottingham! If you want the full works, he's your man though!

And now with "Tyre Shack" very close to Tremona, you can kill two birds with one stone, work on your Puma and reasonably priced tyres!

(Not only that, you can get coffee in the Harley Davidson dealer and drool over the very expensive bikes!)

Cheers everyone for the suggestions.
It's a pig for me as Chris is a long drive and looking at the service offered I'd be tempted to take it to him if it wasn't for that.
Tremona need the car overnight for it to be stone cold.
What do you guys who live miles away do? Drive it down and leave it picking it up a few days after?

Have to admit I wasn't expecting the parts bill to be as much as quoted (more than I paid for the car :lol: ), but Rich sounded very knowledgeable so I'll need to see if I can get down there and get a mate to ferry me or stay with a friend on the IOW.

MrNoisy said:
[post]364681[/post]
What do you guys who live miles away do? Drive it down and leave it picking it up a few days after?
Yep! Richard or his dad Malcolm usually drop me off/pick me up at the station if I need to leave the car there.

I'm frequently up and down the M3 so if you need picking up / dropping off I can probably help out on at least one leg - PM me your mobile and we can see what's what.

Appreciate that EvilRob cheers.

Just on the outside chance - has anyone heard of Moores Motors?
They seem to work on most marques but they race Pumas and Fiestas and are literally 5 minutes down the road so will be asking for a quote shortly...

^ you can trust this guy, knows the Puma like the back of his hand. Will almost certainly spank any other quote you get.

Sorry, Steve - would have given you a nod, but I thought with you being on the other side of London it might have been a bit too far.

Hi all, thanks for all the recommendations and offers of assistance.
I very nearly went with Steavie, but managed to find a local guy less than 2 miles away who races Pumas and Fiestas, and Steavie would have needed to travel (hats off to Steavie for offering though as his price was still competitive).

He also helped to fit my bucket seats and a rear harness bar and all done in a couple of days so very happy, and nice bloke to boot. Jamie @ Moores Motors in Wokingham.

Back