Cant remove rear drum

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chardy

hi all,

i'm trying to change my rear bbrake shoes, and have undone the 4 bolts, but what i think is the ABS is fouling at the back of the drum so i cant get it off.

ive undone the 1 bolt holding that in place but still no joy.

Any ideas ????

Rich.

if you are changing rear brakes you should have undone the nut holding on the drum as that has to be removed to get to brake shoes regardless,bolt everything back up and undo the nut.. then remove drum and you can then get to shoes....

martinthrapston said:
if you are changing rear brakes you should have undone the nut holding on the drum as that has to be removed to get to brake shoes regardless,bolt everything back up and undo the nut.. then remove drum and you can then get to shoes....

Sorry, you're wrong there. If you remove the 4 bolts and the ABS sensor, you should be able to remove the hub assembly/bearing all in one, leaving the shoes mounted on the back plate:
The Gallery doesn't seem to be working correctly at the moment, but if you click on the red cross, you'll see the pic.

In this way, you don't disturb the taper wheel bearing, which should be pre-loaded to 235 Nm (173 lb/ft).

sorry but ive never had to do the rear brakes on my puma yet,i just prefer to do things the easy way,but each to there own tho and you learn something new everyday as they say....

Hi all,

thanks for the pointers. All done now and have decent brakes again.

Have done the centre nut up to the settings given, but will check them again at the weekend with a torque wrench from work as mines getting on a bit now.

Yog, mine are slightly different from the pic, must be cos mines an oldie.

Only problem now, while my mate was standing giving less than helpful advice about refitting the springs, he noticed a phillips screw stuck in my front tyre, dagnabbit it's never ending.

Rich.

Latest posts

Back