Carbon Fibre Parts Thread. - Gear lever surround/console

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warrenpenalver

Hi all.

This is going to be the thread where I advertise the carbon products I am making available for the general puma public to buy.

As many of you will know, I have since the beginning of the year been learning about carbon and making my own carbon parts.

As well as making parts for my own car (which may fit other puma's), I will also be making parts where sufficient demand exist.

Ok first the boring bit - Rules.

Rules

1. I am not a commercial business. I do this as a hobby. I have learnt these skills myself through trial and error. As such I cannot offer a garuntee of 100% perfect parts. If you want 100% perfect parts then buy from a commercial retailer.

2. However, as a fellow enthusiast I DO offer a personal service and aim to ensure you get the item you ordered, by the agreed delivery deadline and to the standard agreed. Also by doing this as a hobby I have less overheads compared to a business and a different ratio of costs so will be able to offer products that are not viable for a commercial company.

3. All parts are made to order. I have a standard delivery time of 4 weeks from the date of ordering. This is broadly similar to most commercial producers. I am able to do this as I will only accept orders i know i can complete in the next 4 weeks. This means I reserve the right to not accept orders for parts that will take longer than this. This is because I do this as a hobby in my spare time and as such have limited hours to work on carbon parts.

4. Payment. All items under £200 in value I require 100% payment on ordering. Items over £200 will require 50% on ordering, balance when part is ready to dispatch. I have decided to do that to protect both of us. I keep little stock of materials so have to buy it in. For small value parts generally make no money on due to labour. For larger items the 50% deposit on ordering is to offer you less risk by not having to hand over larger sums of money. Any variations on payment terms will be agreed in advance.

5. Cancellations. Cancellations will only be accepted prior to me starting to make the ordered part. On cancellation, we will arrange a method to refund money paid. You will be liable for the costs of any transfer/paypal fees incurred. I am happy for people to sell on a part im making f you no longer need it, but you must inform me the full details of the person youve sold it onto so i can send the part to the right place.

6. Postage. Most small items will be sent by royal mail/parcel force. All items will be sent insured for the full value of the part which usually will mean special delivery or equivilent services. This is to protect both of us incase an item is damaged in transit. Large or bulky items that cannot be sent "over the counter" will likely require courier or similar services which will be agreed at the time of ordering. Collection can be arranged if you are local to or passing stoke and will be at a mutually agreed time. I can deliver most parts at shows if we are both attending. It is your duty to check the package on delivery for damage ASAP as postal services have strict timelines to claim off the insurance.

6. Refunds. In the unlikely event I am unable to complete your order or are delayed/ill etc then you will be offered a full refund. In the unlikely event the part is defective then you will be offered a full refund or replacement.

7. Quality of parts. The quality of the part will be shown and described in the product description and photos. I will only send parts equal to or better than the quality shown. Parts will be polished. I do not have a spray booth so will not lacquer parts as many companies do, so my parts wont quite have the depth of shine of lacquered parts. Also the techniques used in the manufacture of the parts at home mean there will likely be a few small pin holes or surface imperfections. Again the quality will be evident from the description and photos. The materials used in the part will be as described. Body Panels are supplied for "off road or show use". Despite aiming to ensure all parts are sufficiently strong for their purpose, I do not have the facilities to crash test parts and as such you need to satisfy yourself you can secure the part adequately if you choose to use the parts on the road.

8. Group Buys/custom one offs. Where you want to make a part Im not offering or planning on offering, we will agree terms of a group buy in advance, including minimum numbers, moulding costs, original part to copy, materials used, ownership rights of moulds etc. Be aware that development times will likely be longer than 4 weeks.

Ok thats the rules all done!

Ok the first product is a Carbon Fibre Gear lever Surround/centre console.

from the side:
2011-07-29092200.jpg

from the front:
2011-07-29092148.jpg

glued in the bottom of the cubby hole and the securing prongs and just had to go fit it to the car!!
2011-07-29093423.jpg

2011-07-29093430.jpg

It doesnt sit perfectly flat on my tunnel as my car is different to standard. It uses carbon prongs at the front and a carbon clip at the back to secure in the car similar to original. The use of pre-preg means only one top join line at the back of the console as visible above.

The part is made of a mix of part pre-preg and dry carbon fabric with the visible side being 2x2 twill. It is made by resin infusion and oven baking and is then hand trimmed to shape.

You will need to remove the gear gaitor from your old centre console and fit it to the carbon one. The fit is very snug (as per original) so i advise a few blobs of glue where the plastic meets the carbon as the clips are not as flexible as moulded plastic and you dont want your gear gaitor to pop out of place. Use only a few blobs/ a bit of silicone/hot glue gun small blobs and the procedure will be totally reversible should you later choose to revert to standard.

oh and the cool bit...... original part wieghs 200g. my part weighs approx 105g, so you can save weight and still have a niceish interior!!

Cost is £96 plus £7 P+P by special delivery.

Payment is at time of ordering and i accept the following payment methods:

paypal
bank transfer
bank counter deposit
cheque
Cash in post (at own risk)

Standard rules apply as in Post #1 including allowing 4 weeks for delivery. Although if an order is completed quicker, it will be sent quicker.

Please PM to make an order and arrange payment/delivery address etc in private.

Feel free to ask any questions.

I can now also offer carbon sheet in a variety of sizes and types.

carbon sheet prices:

door card material thickness approx 0.8mm
0.25sqm 50cmx50cm £25
0.5sqm 1mx50cm £50
puma door card size £55

puma door area where you fit flat door cards is annoyingly just over 1.05m by 0.55m hence the extra cost.

approx 1mm thick - dash panels/guage panels etc. slightly more rigid to support the guages.
0.25sqm 50cmx50cm £33
0.5sqm 1mx50cm £66

Can do smaller sizes on request.

all my sheets are 100% carbon fibre, NO fibreglass or e-glass rubbish here. Also I dont trim the edges down to the exact sizes above so you get a touch more enabling you to cut it to the specified size. My sheets are glossy on one side, matt on the other. I do not lacquer the sheets so they wont be quite as perfectly smooth or glossy as some professional manufacturers. You can see the kind of finish on this clock which is made from carbon sheet and clock mechanism:
2011-07-08054647.jpg

options available include:

swapping the outer layer for carbon/kevlar mix add £10 per square meter.
kevlar reinforcement in specified areas. (additional to existing layers) add £19 per square meter.
replacing a inner carbon layer with 290gsm woven fibreglass Subtract £10 per square meter.

the option prices are shown per square meter but can be divided to suit the size of sheet you are buying.

Postage is as per parcel force standard parcels rate with added compensation to the value of the goods:
.......2kg....4kg....6kg.....8kg.....10kg.....20kg
£100 £6.49 £10.34 £13.61 £16.40 £17.53 £20.23
£250 £8.29 £12.14 £15.41 £18.20 £19.33 £22.03
£500 £9.49 £13.34 £16.61 £19.40 £20.53 £23.23

paypal
bank transfer
bank counter deposit
cheque

Standard rules apply as in Post #1 including allowing 4 weeks for delivery. Although if an order is completed quicker, it will be sent quicker.

Just so people can compare my prices see these other offerings below:
http://www.performance-trim.com/search.php?category_id=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.carbonology.com/carbon-fibre-sheet-c-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Wet-Lay-Carbon-Fibre-Sheet__CMFCS1MM.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://streamlinecarbon.com/v2/products-page/pre-preg-carbon-fibre-sheet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/product_list.php?group=A%20CARB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ok update time!!

I have now made the first surround using normal carbon instead of pre-preg which has succeeded. It also massively reduces the cost!!

Ive also lacquered the part as using normal carbon doesnt give such a good finish as the £110 Sqm pre-preg so lacquering helps fill in any defects in the surface and gives a brilliant shine.

So the piccies, the part has yet to be trimmed or have the base and fixings added.
2011-08-04203751.jpg

2011-08-04203759.jpg

2011-08-04203810.jpg

2011-08-05025039.jpg

2011-08-05025056.jpg

2011-08-05025120.jpg

Im pleased with the lacquer finish, and despite not using pre-preg the weave isnt too bad. sure the edges where it joins with the cubby hole carbon are a bit rough but thats to be expected! Also there is now NO join line on the back of the surround!!

and now for the good thing, as im no longer using pre-preg carbon, the price overall comes down a fair bit.

so the new price is £55.

plus £7 P+P by special delivery.

paypal
bank transfer
bank counter deposit
cheque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back