Cat D cars & insurance write-offs: Carbuyer Mar 12, 2014

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOG

A short article on 'Cat D', 'Cat C' and 'insurance write-offs'. The paragraph highlighted in "blue" is interesting, and shows why the insurance companies initial offers are usually low.

Cat D cars & insurance write-offs: Top tips. Carbuyer Article Mar 12, 2014:

What is a 'Category D' car and should you buy one? Check out our tips and advice.

'Cat D', 'Cat C' and 'insurance write-offs' are phrases you may have heard fairly often, particularly when shopping for a used car. Insurance companies will often write off cars that have been involved in accidents - however, some will be written off for other reasons, for example because of flood damage. Every car written off by an insurance company will be given a category that indicates what condition the car is in and how it can be used afterwards.

Understanding write-offs:

The term ‘write-off’ is often misunderstood – it doesn't always mean that a car is beyond repair or permanently unsafe to drive but rather that the insurance company is writing off the cost of repairing it because doing so would be uneconomical considering the car's value.

It's not always clear what the various categories mean when a car is written off, so read on for a clearer picture of what happens when an insurance firm decides not to repair a damaged vehicle. If you're looking for a new car and are concerned about safety in the event of your car getting damaged in an accident, you can also see the cars rated the safest by Carbuyer by clicking here.

What happens when a car is written off:

When a car gets damaged, the owner will normally call his or her insurance company to tell them. It's then up to the insurer to assess the cost of parts, labour and storage involved in the process of repairing the car and decide whether those costs, in relation to the overall value of the car, make repairing it worthwhile. For example, if a car valued at £3,000 requires repair work costing £2,500, the insurance company is likely to take the decision to write it off.

Be aware that an insurance company will often value your car at a fairly rock bottom price and write it off because it would be more profitable for them to give you the cash, repair your car themselves and take a calculated chance on selling it at a higher price than their valuation. Many claimants will get involved in at least some negotiations with their insurance companies about the value of their cars in write-off cases, as it's in the interest of the insurer to value it as low as possible.

If a car is written off, the owner will get a sum of money that the insurer deems to be the value of the car, or the owner can choose to keep the car and have it repaired at their own cost. Opting for the latter means your car has been officially written off, and will be registered as a Cat C or Cat D vehicle.

Cat A, Cat B, Cat C and Cat D category write-offs:

If a car is to be written off, the insurance company's staff or an independent engineer will put the car into one of four categories: A, B, C and D. These are often known as Cat A, Cat B, Cat C and Cat D, and they mark out how severe the damage is.

Category A: scrap only – Cat A cars are the most severely damaged and should not be put back on the road - their parts can only be sold for recycling.
Category B: break for parts – Cat B cars are also too unsafe to be allowed back on the road, but there will be some parts that can be removed and sold as spares. Its shell (the main component of the car) must be crushed.
Category C: repairable total loss – Cat C cars are allowed back on the road, as the damage is repairable, but the cost of the repair work is substantial enough that it's more than the value of the car. The car must be subject to a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC).
Category D: repairable significant damage – Cat D cars are also allowed back on the road, because the damage can be repaired. Unlike Cat C, however, the repairs won’t cost more than the value of the car, but it is significant enough for the car to be written off.
Cat C and Cat D cars

In order for a car to be put back on the road after a Cat C classification, it must be repaired and then be subject to a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC), carried out by the Vehicle Operator and Services Agency (VOSA). This check makes sure the car is what it purports to be in order to prevent money-making scams.

However, this inspection does not check the quality of the repairs or the roadworthiness of the vehicle – so some Cat C cars may be dangerous. The cars are, though, still subject to an MOT test in order to be allowed on UK roads and to qualify for tax and insurance. Insurance premiums on Cat D and C cars should not be affected compared to a normal car, though it's best to check with your provider before you sign on the dotted line. For advice on securing the cheapest car insurance deal, read our guide on how to get the lowest premiums.

Only cars that are written off and not repaired at the insurance company's expense carry a category C or D listing. Cars that are damaged but then repaired by the insurance company remain unlisted.

In general, it's advisable to avoid having your car written off if at all possible, even if this means arguing with your insurer. Even if you yourself get your car repaired and back on the road as a Cat D vehicle, the classification will affect its resale value even if it doesn't affect your insurance costs.

Good article.
I personally can't see why there is a stigma attached to Cat D cars.
Although I am a bit biased cos I bought one.
In some cases the cars are repaired to a standard which exceeds original.
I don't get why people would turn their nose up at a perfectly good car just because it was classified a Cat C or D several years ago, and has been repaired, used and well maintained ever since.
Although in my case it did me a favour cos in my opinion I got a good one at a good price and I didn't buy it to try and make money on it. I intend keeping it :)

What people don't know doesnt hurt them seems to be the attitude.

A formerly damaged car will always be considered less valuable as its a negative chinque in the cars history. Same with stolen recovered cars even if totally undamaged.

I agree these days its pretty irrelevant for run of the mill cars - albeit the stigma remains.

however on the classic car world and with high value cars, provenance is a very important factor. Albeit the FRP isnt really classic yet, it will be one day as a collectors car and the provenance will be a factor in the value.

The whole scandal of the write off industry is NOTHING is ensrined in law. The whole category thing is an ABI code of practice. There is nothing in law to stop you putting a CAT A car back on the road. The VIC check is NOTHING to do with safety and only to do with preventing vehicle identity fraud.

Insurance companies and breakers all act as if the ABI code is law, and many insurers claim that they can keep the car if written off. No they cant lol. Any such clause written into policies has been proven many times to be an "unfair term" and is thus illegal and the ombudsman has in many cases ordered insurers to pay compensation for cars they have scrapped or refused to return to the owner. The insurance companies are only entitled to take the value of the salvage off the pay out figure. They cannot refuse the claim because you want the salvage either.

Another point of note is if you accept a cash in lieu amount for repairs or stop the claim because you want to fix it, the insurers have no right to record the car as written off because they havent paid out for a total loss claim.

You need to know your rights because what is legal and what insurers do are usually 2 completely different things.

I see it is a bit of shame as well.

I've had some fantastic cars through my workshop which would have been returned to the road quite easily - replacement bumper / wing / door / window / all very minor damage but the difficulty in selling made it prohibitive.

The biggest injustice for me is the fact that if a vehicle *isn't* on the register, it doesn't mean it doesn't have a chequered past.

We put a Ka back on the road the other month - been broken in to and just needed the door bending back and a new ignition loom. Had a message about it and explained at length to the lady about why it was on the registered, the fact it was safe, and the fact it had been with genuine parts in a fairly well qualified workshop. Her reply - 'its for my daugther, I think I'll leave it'.

And there are people out there paying far more for main dealer cars which are no more safe or reliable. In fact if anything, I'd prefer to buy a car from the guy who has a yard full of spares, not the dealer who bodges them to move them on. But there's no telling some people!

"Only cars that are written off and not repaired at the insurance company's expense carry a category C or D listing. Cars that are damaged but then repaired by the insurance company remain unlisted."

mmm...now this I didn't know. So every car out there could have a chequered past even if it has a pristine service history....even your classic or concourse vehicle could have been totalled and you wouldn't know about it if the insurance company had done the repairs!!

That's my point - you could HPI it and have a full book of service stamps and could still have been upside down in a ditch.

Saw one the other week, low mileage, one owner. Not a single straight panel on it. Unrecorded because it was a hire car and they self-insure. If you put that in your own name for 6 months you wouldn't see the first owner details on the logbook, nor the fact its been given death weekly and ended up dancing along a motorway barrier.

Hi,
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance for a category C or D written off vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan

I'll be needing to insure my cat C soon so might ask for a quote Dan

That above maybe explains why the insurance company tried so hard to talk me out of keeping my fairly pristine Puma that in the end actually only needed a new bumper & exhaust to get her back on the road. (Maybe not, they did actually look after me well and gave me a very competitive quote this year too)

Puma Babe said:
I'll be needing to insure my cat C soon so might ask for a quote Dan

That above maybe explains why the insurance company tried so hard to talk me out of keeping my fairly pristine Puma that in the end actually only needed a new bumper & exhaust to get her back on the road. (Maybe not, they did actually look after me well and gave me a very competitive quote this year too)
No worries,
Feel free to drop me a line anytime.
Regards,
Dan.

I think the point being missed here is this:

Unlisted Repair - will have been repaired professionally via the Insurance Company
Cat D Repair - likely to have been cosmetic only, so not as high of a chance of structural damage
Cat C Repair - Very likely to have been structural damage, and also quite likely to have been bodged by a 'wheeler dealer'

I've had Cat C cars come through me with large chunks of sill missing that have just been bodged with fibreglass and filler by whoever 'fixed' them. Ended up having to put them right at a cost myself.

I don't really trust Cat C cars, not mechanically, but aesthetically. Usually have dodgy paint or repairs, so they're only really useful for a cheap runaround.

cj2013 said:
Cat C Repair - Very likely to have been structural damage, and also quite likely to have been bodged by a 'wheeler dealer'

Disagree completely for the majority of stuff I get.

Its all down to the value of the car at the time of the crash.

You also missed unlisted repair because the owner was insured TP or chose not to claim so did it themselves on the cheap.

There are so many exceptions to the system that the system can't be trusted to evaluate the car, it must be done on merit for each individual car. I scrap loads of boss ones every year because people trust the system.

Latest posts

Back