Causes of wheel wobble?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skint

Just a quick one..

Apart from a bent/unbalanced wheel or a dodgy tyre what can cause wheel wobble?

I've just paid to have my wheel 'unbent' and put 2 new toyo proxes t1-r (less than £30 each from camskill.co.uk! highly recommended) on the front to cure my annoying case of the wobbles.
However, although the wobble has reduced its still there around at motorway speeds..

My thoughts were either the shop I got it done at hasn't done a good job of balancing the wheels, or there could be something else I havn't registered.

I know the ARB bushes on my car are a worn and I suspect the tracking might be a bit out seeing as the insides seem to wear faster than the outsides but I didn't think either of these would cause wheel wobble.

Any ideas anyone?

Wouldn't have bothered straightening the wheel to be perfectly honest, a replacement would've been a better option if at all possible. But you could be right about the balancing, my old Omega had a slightly wobbly wheel depending on who balanced it as it must have been ever so slightly buckled so some guys couldn't be arsed to piss about fine tuning it, when I stood over the guys while they were balancing them it always seemed to stop the wobbling strangely enough!!!

loose wheel nuts? id check the balancing again though, like yip said watch them do it if possible, they always do a better job that way :cool:

I thought about buying a new wheel but at £170 each I thought that was a waste of money considering you can buy a set for 4 aftermarket jobbies with new tyres for £400, so I went for the £50 fix.
I didn't see any balancing weights when they rolled the wheels with new tyres which which I thought was slightly odd but I thought maybe they're just really good at getting the wheel back into shape. Hmm.
It's not the wheel nuts, the problem has persisted for a while now (since I hit a monster pothole) and I had the wheels off and tightened the nuts up myself.
I think re balancing is the next obvious step but thats just annoying especially seeing as I only had the work done this morning..

In that case id check your shock, drop link and other suspension parts round that area. I hit a bloody big pot hole, and ruind my damper, drop-liks and bushes (they were due anyway), thankfully that was all. still if there is no wieghts on them then that could be your problem.

I've just come back from my national tyres horsham who have sorted the problem.
I asked them to balance the front wheels and do the tracking, and they had it all sorted in 40 minutes.
One of the fronts was 125g out of balance and the other was 35g out.
Is it appropriate to name and shame the first garage I went to who couldn't be arsed to/totally failed to balance the wheels?

Yeh, i would, unless they told you that balancing wasnt included in the price that is

They didn't say that balancing wasn't included in the price and charged me £10 a corner fitting.
The company was Wheel Works in Crawley. The initial matey who greeted me was also pretty rude and insisted that I didn't have an appointment, even though I had called them 3 times this week, once to ask if they could strighten the wheel, once to ask if I could have tyres delivered there, and once this very morning to see if the tyres were in yet.
All in all, I definately wouldn't take my business there again.

Latest posts

Back