Changing light switch has not fixed blowing fuse problem.HLP

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefer

Hi im a neewbie to this forum.

I've got '98 1.7 Puma and have had no problems at all since i bought it last December.

Anyway last week out da blue turned my head lights on and woe no dash lights. Thought nuttin off it as prob a fuse or summat. anyway changed the fuse and it still blew when i turn my lights on.. Thought na i got a short somewhere, anyway thought i google the issue which brought me to here PP. So I read a couple of posts and seems its a common issue with the light switch messing up so I thought let me try first the WD40 method but as it never worked instantly for me I left trying to sort it out due to work. Anyway after a couple of days I thought let me have another go at it but first let me try chk in case the wd40 did fix so put a new fuse in and hey it worked. Thought it was to good to be true.. so I thought let me turn it off and on to test again but it just blew the fuse again..So I thought must def be a switch issue so this morning I've just tried 4 .. yes 4 new switches but fuse just keep blowing... Im lost and dont knw what may be causing it... bearing in mind this fuse blowing issue just happened outta da blue.. and its fuse no 6, 10 A but I knw you lot knw that anyway lol...

really appreciate any help with this or if any body had any similar issues.

Thx

you seem to have a problem with your keyboard too, it keeps missing letters out here and there.

welcome to the forum, I hope someone can help with your problem

Welcome aboard

I dont know what your original problem was but did you make sure the switch stalks you tried were the correct ones ??

There are two different stalks one for earlier cars one for later cars and they arent interchangeable, and they blow fuses if you fit the wrong ones.

Did you keep track of which one was your original set of stalks so you know the type you need?

could be your original prob was dodgey stalks, but now your blowing fuses as your fitting the wrong stalks,having said that if you tried 4 stalks you should have had at least one correct one.

Thanks for your replies.

Issue is that my fuse 6 keeps blowing every time I turn my head lights on.

Yep, I am aware that there are 2 types of stalks i.e ones for the non programmable and the other for the programmable wiper and also depending on the year of the vehicle so I made sure it was the correct one - 22 pins but they were still blowing the fuses.

I mean after my initial attempt with the WD40 and leaving it for a couple of days then going back to and it momentarily working, it had me believe that it was the switch but as you can see it wasn't.

Does anyone have a picture of the wiring schematics for this and also would anyone know if the bunch of relay type objects at the back of the fuse box on the drivers side foot well may have one that is for the dash light and need to be checked out?

Reading thru other posts their was a mention of moisture may cause this as well, but where back lights, front indicator etc...

I mean the weather has been nice during the time it happened so I ruled that out.

Is there anything that is connected to the same wiring for the dash light - I have got the owners guide and it does put the headlight leveller to use the same fuse so was wondering if that may cause it - a fault with the motor or something along them lines.

Thanks for your replies and hopefully your help can help me sort this out.

Week later I'm still not any closer to finding out what the problem is. I've downloaded Fords TIS circuit diagram, so just been having a browse on the circuit schematics for the dash and the lights on the left side of the vehicle but seems like I'm going to have to resort to taking it to an auto electrician which I was hoping not to have to ££££££££s.

If any one has any suggestions please state as any help to sort this is appreciated.

LOL tired of using my phone to light up my dash.

Latest posts

Back