changing out the stereo

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstPuma

Hi

as i said in the newbie area i have a 1.4 black Puma
As a first mod i would like to change out the complete sound system ( new radio, front speakers , rears? , adding a sub in the boot).
but i don't know where to start. and i would like to keep some space in the little boot.

Greetz

Yeah i know bug i tought it would maybe be the easiest(cheapest) way to do (probably not) first of all i want to change the original 6000cd rds eon unit with something more modern.
And for the speakers i have no idea what to fit

If you wanted some advice: first treat your car. Dynamat it (Russian STP is also very good, much cheaper) as step one. Then consider installing a good amplifier (always will recommend going for really good quality second hand one as the best option financially), then replace your speakers for a good quality ones (again, I'd go rather for really good ones second hand) and as last thing to upgrade your HU

I would personally first change the speakers and treat the car. Then change headunit and after that add amplifier. If you buy quality HU it gives out quite nice sound already. Of course amplifier will make it sound even better but I would see that good quality HU without separate amplifier would be better than stock CD-player with amplifier. But as Wild E. Coyote said, buy everything second hand as you will save much money.

You will get quite nice bass if you change front and rear speakers and treat the car with STP material. So do it first and then see if you still want to install sub in the boot.

In case you don't know, front speakers in Puma are 6" and rear speakers are 5x7". In front you can install maximum ~65mm depth speakers. Of course you can use tin snips etc. to cut the front speaker holes so that you can fit 6.5" speakers. Then you will have more variety in speakers because 6" is quite rare size. Of course you use adapters and fit 5.25" speakers.

This will help you to change your speakers:
How to remove door cards, front and rear

For inspiration and how-to:
Wild E. Coyote's complete ICE install
Dal's ICE Install
cptSparko's Complete (ICE) Install Write-up

JiiHu said:
These speakers you linked seem to be 5.25" so you will need adapter for that. Easiest and cheapest way to make adapter is to make one yourself from plywood.

Beware that putting in an adaptor might not be possible as it could foul the doorcard which is quite near. Easiest as JiiHu said: go for good quality 6,5" low mounting depth speakers and enlarge the mounting hole a bit.

yeah these are on a new site but i found these same ones second hand. but i will look for 6,5" second hand because there aren't much around here in belgium

Back