Clank and Loud Squeak from Rear Left Area

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van_Dammesque

Please help! :eek:

For the past two days I have had intermittent clanking and squeaky sound that appears to come from the rear left, it sounds awful and is very loud at times, when it first happened I thought it was a backfire, but engine is purring like a Puma would. And still makes the noise when the clutch is depressed, so I would say not the exhaust or engine.

When it first happened I drove for about a mile, no problems, stopped for petrol, came out of the petrol station and heard what appeared to be a couple of bangs and then a continuous chewing squeaking is the best way to describe it. Then it died down to a medium volume squeak.

Now today I left Asda and it happened.
Doesn't appear to be speed related, handling is good, emergency stops shows no pulling and brakes work spot on. Pulled over and quiet as a mouse.
I thought it maybe be bush or top strut related, so went back round the car park, with the speed bumps, going over them is quiet and smooth, but hay presto the noise returned at almost the same area (about 20m down the road). When the spring is compressed and turning brings the worst out of it. Then quiet for about five miles until the estate I live in (with windy roads at 20 mph), was going no more than 20 mph when first happened too. Little squeaks no clanking noise.
But does continue regardless of speed (obviously didn't go that fast as I was bricking it!)
Nothing at 50 mph after giving the car a rest.

When back at home I got the gf to bounce on the suspension, one side sounds slightly different than the other when your head is under the car. Like a rubber rubbing sound but hardly audible.
Had a good look but nothing obvious...

I have had new tyres all round recently and couple of months ago new rear wheel bearings.
Tyres seem fine and no whine/drone from the rear wheels.. :?:

I did have to go through a large flood the other day (splashes were level with the top of the car!), maybe this has sent the bushes or top strut over the edge?

Thanks for looking.

The bearing were well chewed up! Had the 1st rubber o-ring fitted the wrong way around and let in water from the flood I drove through.

All good now for £48 including parts and labour! :lol:

Latest posts

Back