Coilover Buying Advice + Best Source

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoisy

Not interested in GMAX or TA Technix, I've heard horror stories.
FK or AP coilovers seem like a good budget option, but prices seem to vary dramatically so thought I'd ask where all of you have been buying them from, how much it cost you and how you've found they perform on road and track.

Also - is there anything I should consider replacing as part of the refresh?

I see FK offer Silverline which are height and damping adjustable for £419:
https://www.madmotors.co.uk/fk-ford-puma-1-6-1-7-ect-97-02-silverline-coilovers-82867.html

..highsport which are just height adjustable at £350
https://www.madmotors.co.uk/coilovers/ford-suspension/ford-puma-coilovers/fk-highsport-ford-puma-97.html

...and the better known AP's at £402
https://www.madmotors.co.uk/coilovers/ford-suspension/ford-puma-coilovers/ap-coilovers-ford-puma-etc-rear-with-eye-mounting-1-4-1-6-1-6-99.html

Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys.
Someone else also suggested I consider Koni Sport shocks with lowering springs, which seem like a good alternative with potentially less maintenance required than coilovers. Just trying to price it up now...

Anyone know how low you can get a Puma to go? Mines lowered I'm assuming just on springs but looks like any other car at standard ride height!...

McBandy said:
[post]365060[/post] Anyone know how low you can get a Puma to go? Mines lowered I'm assuming just on springs but looks like any other car at standard ride height!...
However low you want, just buy a decent set of coilovers and wind them right down, but handling and ride will suffer if you go too OTT.

So it turns out that FK Silverline aren't made for Puma anymore. Waiting on a price for Weitec GT's from their U.K. Distributor, and also info on whether there are any recon Koni's in the U.K.
If the price for the GT's is horrendous and there's no Koni alternative I'll be going AP's.
See no reason not to.

Just checked my old accounts. I paid £458.70 for my Weitec Hicon GT Coilovers in July 2010.

Had a very quick search and first place I saw were charging over £750 for them, next one was £606 but the 3rd one I looked at have them listed at £468.47 for eye OR fork mounting ones. P&P is a penny under a tenner.

So £20 more than I paid 7 years ago, not bad inflation me thinks :lol:

oh....the link(s)?

FORK MOUNT
EYE MOUNT

Hope that helps & the prices are genuine :thumbs:

EDIT:- Just noticed you'd posted a week ago. Not been on for a week due to sites security certificate so hope I'm not too late to possibly save you a few quid :eek:k:

yippeekiay said:
[post]365157[/post] Just checked my old accounts. I paid £458.70 for my Weitec Hicon GT Coilovers in July 2010.

Had a very quick search and first place I saw were charging over £750 for them, next one was £606 but the 3rd one I looked at have them listed at £468.47 for eye OR fork mounting ones. P&P is a penny under a tenner.

So £20 more than I paid 7 years ago, not bad inflation me thinks :lol:

oh....the link(s)?

FORK MOUNT
EYE MOUNT

Hope that helps & the prices are genuine :thumbs:

EDIT:- Just noticed you'd posted a week ago. Not been on for a week due to sites security certificate so hope I'm not too late to possibly save you a few quid :eek:k:

Funnily enough I gave that company a buzz, but the prices weren't too competitive for the adjustable ride height version so decided to stick with the AP's.
This decision was reinforced when I initially decided to go with the ST shocks and matched springs kit only to find that they, FK, and nearly every other kit bar KW Variant 1 have been discontinued for the Puma :(

Thank you for taking the time to reply though!

No worries. :eek:k:

Those ones I linked (Hicon GT) did have ride height adjustment. I think it's the same as the AP's from memory.
I know the AP's are slightly cheaper - £50 or so - but I went for Weitec as they were recommended by a past member on here who had both & said the Weitec's had a better ride.

That was good enough for me as I'm old & wanted to retain some comfort, which they did :lol:

Latest posts

Back