Considering a Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE_Liam

Hi all :grin:

I've always been a Peugeot man, and I've had loads from 106s through to 406s but I fancy a change. Been trying to find a nice 106 GTI or Rallye but they all seem to be overpriced and thrashed, so a mate tipped me off about Pumas. They seem very cheap for what you get, plentiful and there seems to be a lot of "one lady owner" type cars, so I'm looking for one to use as a cheap to run daily that could be a bit of fun down a country lane on a weekend...

One question, because I'm gonna be using it every day in heavy traffic, what are the 1.7s like on liquid money? I'd guess around low 30's based on what a 106 GTI generally gets, and with these being a similar size and power I'm guessing it'll be similar. Am I about right?

Gonna have to go test drive a few as well...

Cheers :)

Mine averages around 40-45 mpg without any problem, much more on a long run.

Add to that great handling, huge torque, high mileage capability.....why would you ever want a Pug again :grin:

Great little cars. We have two in the family - both originally low mileage ladies cars on personal plates and well pampered with fsh. Both are Puma 1.7's and average 38 mpg.

I have a 1.7 puma and the gf has a mk3 1.8 mondeo, the puma gets thrashed everywhere and the mondeo gets driven a lot more sedately and we get roughly the same miles to £20 in both cars, maybe slightly more from the puma.

All sounds good so far, seen a few near me going for pennies. What are parts prices like? Will probably just lower it a bit because they look a bit high-riding for me, and maybe a sports exhaust, my mates 1.8 Focus sounds ace with an Asley exhaust, pops and bangs on overrun :lol:

Pumas are excellent cars, parts are cheap to! I paid 260 for mine with 150k on the clock, just flew through MOT! 40mpg 0-60 in 8.8 can't complain

Mine does 27mpg (ish) on a normal working week but thats because I do short journeys up & down hills in rush hour traffic twice a day. On a long run it'll do 38ish. But then, like Phil, I'm not an economical driver :)

Found a decent one pretty close to me, having a look after work tomorrow. Wish me luck :wink:

Dear Liam,

I have a very similar story to you.

I used to "do" 205 GTI's and 309 GTI's (either break them for bits or fix them up, mot and sell). They were fantastic cars and in truth, I wish I had kept one of them, if only to enjoy the skyrocketing prices...

However, I had a few fiestas and was incredibly impressed at their ability to withstand cruel treatment. I had only heard good things about the puma so sold a BMW330D and got one.

They are excellent. They handle brilliantly, parts are dirt cheap and plentiful, they are not fast but are rapid enough to amuse yourself on anything with corners.

My only advice is stop considering and start buying.

Considering a Puma...?

Only two words for you.... BUY ONE!

Still on the lookout for one, looked at 3 now but I haven't managed to find the right car. I want something with under 100k, that's had a cambelt recently and has solid arches for less than a grand. Am I being unrealistic?

fellow ex 306 owner, i just sold my old dturbo after a lot of ups and downs ...6 engines a lot of turbos and a lot of info from darrenjlobb lol

cwpellow owns my old estate on 306oc :)

pumas are awesome, out handle a 306 , more economical than a dturbo, more reliable than any pugs , less peices fall off

do it :)

THE_Liam said:
Still on the lookout for one, looked at 3 now but I haven't managed to find the right car. I want something with under 100k, that's had a cambelt recently and has solid arches for less than a grand. Am I being unrealistic?

...a bit hopeful perhaps ?

Just to say i hate pugs !! Killed so many rear beams in my 206 grrrrr :evil:

Back