Coolant Tripped My Starter Fuse

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris99puma

Hey Guys,

About a year ago I ran into a strange set of circumstances that I may be able to help someone out with.

I was doing a complete coolant flush and also cleaning my coolant hoses due to the previous owner using 100% antifreeze. Before the coolant flush I was having no issues, except for a slow coolant leak. While bleeding the coolant, I made my way around the engine bay and squeezed some of the hoses. I was working to help any extra air out of the system.

As soon as I touched the hose going into the heater control valve, my 1.7L completely died. When I tried to crank the car, I was met with no starter click at all.

I then went down a huge rabbit hole of what happened with the coolant system to cause the vehicle to completely die and not turn over. And I have to admit, I let the car sit for a night while wondering what could have happened.

The next morning I discovered a blown fuse for the starter. After replacing the fuse, I tried to crank the car. And it automatically blew again. So, even though you are definitely not supposed to, I replaced the 15 Amp fuse with a 30 Amp to try and get the car running for a second to hopefully find the problem.

Upon starting the car, the speed sensor (located almost directly below the heater control valve where I had touched) started sparking and smoking. So I very abruptly turned the car back off. For those who don't know where it is located, it's right on top of the transmission.

From what I can understand, when I squeezed that coolant hose, some residual coolant must've dripped onto the old destroyed wires of the speed sensor, and caused a short. That caused my starter fuse to blow.

Replaced the sensor and I've had no issues since! Interesting what you discover is controled by certain fuses. A big thanks to those 25 year old wires!

Attachments

• 20240419_092241~2.jpg
    20240419_092241~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240419_092444~2.jpg
    20240419_092444~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back