Crank walk issues.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumc

Had a big overhaul of the puma this weekend. Ive had a bit a rattle for a while but didn't sound to ominous as it would come and go with engine revs and load, mainly at idle. It's gotten slightly worse since I supercharged the engine, so I'd made the assumption it must be an auxiliary belt tensioner/idler issue. I've done the timing belt (inc tensioner), water pump as it there was some play in the bearings, aux belt idler as that was a little rough, and the tensioner. It's also had a new clutch and gearbox while the engine was out.

While I was faffing about getting the crank pulley off I noticed there was quite a lot of lateral movement in the flywheel, about 2-3mm. I wasn't sure if this could be the issue but rebuilt it all and having for the engine back in with all the new gear, the rattle is still there :(

Anyone had this or heard of it happening before?

I've never had one of these engines apart, are there any bearings or seals inside the engine that could be worn and cause this problem?

Any insight on this would be great looks like I'll be getting myself a replacement engine at some stage but if I can rebuild this one that'd be an option.

Crank bearings can go but it's difficult to overhaul them as it's difficult to find replacements

never heard of crank walk with the puma engines but 2 to 3mm does sound alot,need to find out the tolerance i wouldn't have thought it was as much as that tho,lucky puma engines are peanuts and there's plenty about :cool:

2 to 3mm seems a bit excessive for end float. If you are getting that ammount of movement I can only assume the thrust bearing on the centre main shell is worn or completely missing. The end float is generally goverened by the width of the centre main bearing side walls on the crankshaft, (No.3 bearing).

Latest posts

Back