Current AFR Readings ...?!? Not what I expected ..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma_TBR

So out of curiosity I went for a drive with a AEM Afr gauge and wideband sensor a couple of days ago I was suprised at the readings.

2002 1.7
421 manifold - Hoffman race tube - sportex backbox
Custom ram airbox with ramair* come filter
Tape ECU fitted
STD cams

Idle (lean)17’s
Progressive pull (pretty good) 13-15
Hard acceleration (rich) 10’s!!!
Overrun (very lean) 20+

So definitely some performance to be gained by a decent map.
But this makes me wonder just how much fueling adjustment would actually be needed to run a low pressure turbo

Now I am actually in the process of getting the bits together and building a blown motor but was very surprised at these reading on a stock Tape ECU

On a second note... Turbos

What size/model are people running on the 1.7 ?
As well as PSI and decompression plates if needed and at what PSI

What will the internals take?

Please move if this would be better suited in a different area of the forum.

Many thanks
Tom

I would advise as a very good starting point to check Errolls thread: https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=10961
You will find very useful info there should you pursue the idea of turboing 1.7.
Mind you, the weak link are conrods

The AFR ratios are what I'd expect from my limited experience. Engines can and do run rich as a strategy to prevent overheat/detonation. This is definitely true for turbo engines, Ford 2.0 GTDi is known for it. I am not as certain about N/A engines, although I would expect very lean for overrun.

Interested in the conrods comment. Every engine has its weak spot I suppose. Are there any options available as alternatives to standard, eg forged?

No, not really. It is a very small volume engine. PEC used to have them in offering, but that has dissapeared now, AFAIK. The conrods from Fiat 1.4 T-JET engine are close fit. The big end is the same 42/45 mm ID so you would need to make piston fit on that. And if you make a bespoke piston, than you can adjust the CR as suited

I agree, the richness I would expect from a turbocharged engine too. That’s why I was suprised and curious on the comments. Thank you for your replies

Latest posts

Back