another puma turbo conversion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolly boi

Hi guys i will be buying and building a 1.7 turbo engine soon. i work in a garage so i have everything i need apart from lots of money :-( ive read pumanoobs 1.7 thread and have a understanding of what i need to do. i have frp cams and a frp ecu with no torque limiter for it so far ( because there in my puma now with a panel filter and a 4-2-1 mani + free flowing center section). im gonna run the 2 head gaskets and the decompression plate. i want it to be at maximum 8 psi and around 160-180 bhp. i have a Garrett gt20 turbo from a land rover td5 engine ( as i work for them got it for free) could this work instead of using a t25 from a saab ?

lolly boi said:
i think im gonna go with the garrett t25 from the saab but cant find the ford exhaust manifold that bolts to it :? hows your turbo conversion flying scotsman ?

What do you mean the ford exhaust manifold that bolts to it? There isnt one, you will have to fabricate one.
The T25 is, for the boost you want to run, seems to be the common choice. I too had a T25when I started my ideas but I opted for something a little different.

Touch wood, mine will be complete and ready for Rockingham at the end of March...

What do you mean the ford exhaust manifold that bolts to it? There isnt one, you will have to fabricate one
the manifold pumanoob used on his i no he had to weld a flange on to it but thats no problem. the manifold i have unbolts from the cat but its way to large and out of shape.

lolly boi said:
What do you mean the ford exhaust manifold that bolts to it? There isnt one, you will have to fabricate one
the manifold pumanoob used on his i no he had to weld a flange on to it but thats no problem. the manifold i have unbolts from the cat but its way to large and out of shape.

You might find that it's the same manifold the PumaNoob used on his 'Budget' turbo. He welded a pentagon flange to it with the bore of a T25 turbo.
If you want a better flowing one.. you'll need to fabricate it.

To know if the turbo is big enough for your power requirements, the easiest thing to look at is the A/R ratio numbers on there, there should be one on the hot side and one on the cold. Ideally you want A/R .42 or bigger, or it might choke your high RPM power. There's a lot more to it but there's some stuff you won't be able to check.

The issue with using diesel turbos is that most diesels only rev to about 4k rpm or just over, so the turbo needs to come in very early but doesn't need to cope with the large amounts of flow at high RPM. So once you go past 4 or 5k revs, the power can drop as the turbo physically can't flow enough gas. What size is the engine it is meant for?

GT20 would be the better turbo, assuming its a GT2052S, this has a A/R of 0.46 which might suffice. I couldn't find an compressor maps for this particular model with A/R of 0.46, so you might need to investigate further and crunch the flow numbers.

Latest posts

Back