Dead Dash

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neurotypical

I have a 2001 1.7i which I love to bits, she now has 145,000 on the clock with very little problem until now. Last week I noticed my petrol gauge showing full when I knew it was'nt, my petrol gauge then dropped to roughly where is should have been and then started to fill up! next thing I know my whole dash is dead....no rev counter, no speedo, no petrol gauge (well showed empty with the light on for 200 miles and now nothing), no temp gauge, milometer is blank. My mechanic has checked for the obvious (fuses etc) but is not sure what it is.

My indicator is now going into double time when turning right (the indicator lights also), any ideas on what the cause of this would really be appreciated. I am still driving the car using sat nav as a speedo and petrol gauge, not ideal but at the mo its the only way to do it. I don't want to get rid of my car, and would prefer to get the fault repaired so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
many thanks
NT

Rapid indicators normally means a blown indicator bulb, (not sure if thats what you mean by 'indicator lights also') but put your hazards on and make sure they are all lighting as they should, then i'd check EVERY fuse again just to make sure as that what its pointing towards really :roll: :wink:

The fast indicator flash means you have a bulb out as tom said. your dash problem could simply be the plug in the back of your instrument panel came loose or bad connection. failing that i'd be looking for a bad earth somewhere. there are two under the door/sill panel both sides, inline with the front of the door. heres a pic of one with no interior just wires. this is passengers floor/door way.
IMG_0123.jpg

the two black wies bolted to the inner sill are your earths. these are on both sides and a rusty poor contact could also give you grief like you've described. hope this helps.

thanks for your help, putting my hazzards on seems to have cured the rapid flashing indicators - all bulbs working, this weekends job is looking for a bad connection
Thanks again
NT

Back