decisions….decisions

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputy

So after two years and a bit of owning my thunder and loving it….its time to decide….keep it and spend money on it or replace with something else.

To keep i reckon both wheel arches will need to be done with the arches i got from Rob last year and then i'm toying with the idea of lowering with a set of eibechs.

other than that its still in pretty good nick, only 80,000 miles and just passed MOT.

OR do i get rid and maybe move onto something different…MR2 or Audi TT spring to mind?

I reckon the arches would cost about £500, not sure how much a garage would charge to install lowering springs(any ideas) I figure the springs themselves will cost about £200?

decisions ….decisions…opinions?

Definitely keep it. Or at least do the arches and springs, see how you feel - will only increase its saleability, if you still want to try something else.

As for Eibachs, alexwilliams840 had a brand new set he only wanted £120 for recently, no idea if they went or not - PM him.

Nearest person I can think of I'd trust to install springs on my own car is The Arch Bishop; whether or not he'd want the responsibility is another matter, but he might install them for you on the cheap if you ask him really nicely! (he's only about an hour from you in Hurstpierpoint) - and you'd get to meet ProjectPuma favourite, Jegger!

Just checked with Alex - he sold them on eBay just recently. :( Not surprised at that price, to be fair!

I'm in the lucky position to have driven both MR2's (Mk1's - the most fun of them, used as a daily for about 6 years in total) and an Audi TT V6. For fun the Puma is slightly ahead of the MR2 and in another league to the TT (dreadful leaden feeling machine - my dad offered it to me when he couldn't sell it and I gracefully refused). For a mixture of fun, cheap motoring and practicality, then there is absolutely no contest.

As for fitting your springs, I'd honestly do it if I had the time but you'd be waiting weeks for me to finish it (and to be honest I didn't trust me fitting them). I would say to think hard before fitting them for pot-holed Sussex, I can't say I'm a huge fan of them but hat might be to do with my tyres which have very hard walls on them.

If you did want to fit them, I'm happy to offer advice and tools if you wanted to have a crack yourself. If I can do it then pretty much anyone can with the right kit as I am a useless mechanic.

As an aside, do you travel through Haywards Heath at all? I keep seeing a Thunder around there in the mornings!

Sorry for pimping you out, Lee! I probably should have asked if I could name drop first. :lol:

You should take it as a compliment, though - there aren't many people I'd let anywhere near my car armed with a spanner, I think you sell yourself short!

Changing the springs is relatively easy, providing you are very careful and treat them with respect, as they can be pretty dangerous if you're not sensible.
I think the worst part is getting the front shocks out of the hubs.

I'm probably too far away to offer help with fitting them.....

Ah no worries. As said, if I had the time I'd happily have a crack.

I will take it as a compliment though, but I would say if you ever see me working on my car, I think your perception of my abilities would rapidly change...

I'll just quote myself from the dash removal I did the other week;

"IF I EVER MEET THE FORD ENGINEER THAT DESIGNED THIS SPEEDO DRIVE FITTING, I WILL BREAK HIM! I WILL LITTERALLY FECKING BREAK HIM!!! CHRIST!!!!!!!'

thanks for the thoughts guys…i went on a bit of a run today and reminded myself what i love about this car and have indeed decided to keep the puma…now gonna dedicate this year to sorting all the niggly bits and get it looking as good as possible.

Arch bishop thanks for the offer of tools and stuff…i also am shocking at anything mechanical…I'm not sure about lowering, …do the eibachs make much of a difference to the ride?

I don't get anywhere near haywards heath …hastings is where you'll see me…

Rob..have you had the arches fitted yet? do they fit ok?

deputy said:
Rob..have you had the arches fitted yet? do they fit ok?
Not yet, fella - should be going on this summer, along with new sills. :eek:k:

deputy said:
do the eibachs make much of a difference to the ride?

For me, yes, massively. Car hits the bump stops alarmingly on certain roads where as the standard shocks and springs didn't before. Having said that the roads around here are pretty knackered. The car feels a little less supple on back roads and doesn't get the power down quite as well. Unless you want the (slightly) lowered look, I wouldn't bother to be honest.

Many others will probably disagree though!

For me, yes, massively. Car hits the bump stops alarmingly on certain roads where as the standard shocks and springs didn't before. Having said that the roads around here are pretty knackered. The car feels a little less supple on back roads and doesn't get the power down quite as well. Unless you want the (slightly) lowered look, I wouldn't bother to be honest./quote]

Thats really interesting, roads round here are also pretty shocking, probably give the lowering a miss….might spend the money on some genuine Ford door card clips..drives me mad…

deputy said:
right now i'm confused how do i get a quote from other posts in a white box?
Use the Quote button in the bottom right-hand corner of every post:

Screen_Shot_2014-03-26_at_18_03_08.png

Or if you want to do it manually, the syntax is:
Code:
[quote="deputy"]right now i'm confused how do i get a quote from other posts in a white box?[/quote]

deputy said:
So after two years and a bit of owning my thunder and loving it….its time to decide….keep it and spend money on it or replace with something else.

To keep i reckon both wheel arches will need to be done with the arches i got from Rob last year and then i'm toying with the idea of lowering with a set of eibechs.

other than that its still in pretty good nick, only 80,000 miles and just passed MOT.

OR do i get rid and maybe move onto something different…MR2 or Audi TT spring to mind?

I reckon the arches would cost about £500, not sure how much a garage would charge to install lowering springs(any ideas) I figure the springs themselves will cost about £200?

I got my springs from here iirc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ford-Puma-Eibach-Pro-Spring/dp/B003JI82GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395857317&sr=8-1&keywords=puma+eibach+springs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

decisions ….decisions…opinions?

evilrob said:
deputy said:
right now i'm confused how do i get a quote from other posts in a white box?
Use the Quote button in the bottom right-hand corner of every post:

Screen_Shot_2014-03-26_at_18_03_08.png

Or if you want to do it manually, the syntax is:
Code:
[quote="deputy"]right now i'm confused how do i get a quote from other posts in a white box?[/quote]

oh now i see

Back