DIY Brake Ducts - Ideas?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayfox

I know a couple of peeps on here have fitted brake ducts from the thin slits in the lower front bumper but I'm looking to make my own ducts and cut holes in both side of the front bumper like steve did in his project on here

7534184700_90028bf214_b.jpg

he did a guide but all the pics no longer exist and I couldn't get in touch with him.

I see the problem with the brought ones is they are flat facing so won't work with the steep angle of the curved surface where they're positioned above. I'm looking to use stainless woven mesh to shape the ducts and fiberglass them and attach them to these

$_57.JPG

514VaMVbhCL.jpg

I'm thinking I'll need to make a border template (out of something) which the outer rim of the duct can attach to which then attachs to the inside of the bumper.

Ideas anyone?

There are lots of products that might suit your fitting to the rear of the bumper so you don't have to fabricate anything on;
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or
http://www.europaspares.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barry

Ive got a couple of ducts to fit, my plan is to fit them in behind the lower grille then just route them as best I can round the rad and through the pipes, then just make a bracket to attach them to.

I dont think you need to go the extent of messing around making anything specific, other option is fit some NACA ducts into the sides of the bumper and direct air in that way.

Theres pleny of products out there you can buy that will work.

I actually quite fancy having a bash making them myself now, the ducting itself would need to be longer if going from the lower grill than pictured above and would therefore be less effective, plus I don't think the ducting I've brought would be long enough. If the fibreglass ducts go pear shaped I'll just cut a circular hole for the piping and mount it up, can always buy and fit proper vents later on.

Half the fun is researching and implementing ideas. We found that the biggest hurdle is actually routing the pipework so it doesn't foul on the wheels as they turn. Whether our solution is robust enough to stand up to track work we'll see. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

stephengreen said:
Half the fun is researching and implementing ideas. We found that the biggest hurdle is actually routing the pipework so it doesn't foul on the wheels as they turn. Whether our solution is robust enough to stand up to track work we'll see. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks.

That issue has occurred to me and I was thinking of making the pipework more oval and therefore thinner as it passes behind the tyre area on full lock, the difficulty may depend on ride height but fortunately mines only lowered to the extent where the wishbones are still horizontal.

Back