DIY Rust repair

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian'

Hello everyone,

My Puma had a bit of rust on the left arch. So I've done a bit of DIY.

I've used filler instead of a new piece of metal, the reason for this is firstly I can't weld or know someone near to me that can and secondly is cash :cry: .

So I've sanded back the rust (I know, the rust is coming from the inside) to bare metal and from there on I've used a bit of filler to make it smooth and even. It's not as perfect as a professional but I can live with it.

After this I've done the whole spray thing (primer, base coat, clear coat). Let it dry for 24 hours. It was done with rattle cans

The problem I have is that my paint doesn't shine very well. It's dull. I've already tried wetsanding it with 2K, I've tried using a clay bar and I've done a bit of polishing with Adam's Fine Machine Polish but it doesn't shine..

Here are some pictures:
This was in the morning (the day after) :
IMG_1190_zpsf15ce7ee.jpg

This was after I've wetsanded it with 2000 and polished it with a DAP:
IMG_1192_zpsbc5f6994.jpg

IMG_1193_zps0a5244d1.jpg

IMG_1194_zps85e725b4.jpg

IMG_1196_zps9f50185c.jpg

I don't know what to do, Do I have to wait is it because the paint has to cure? Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed a step?

Let me know! - I need your help :|

Will be polishing it up next week with a heavier polish pad (yellow) and see the result. If it doesn't then shine I will probably put a few more coats of lacquer on it.

2k means 2component.
2-layer just means clear coat that you can paint over base coat.
When you spray try as thick layers as you dare wihout runs. Should shine. You probably just painted to thin layers of clear and it all becomes matte.

So more clear coat. Polishing on a thin clear coat might eat thru the clear and ruin the metallic effect of base

xztraz said:
2k means 2component.
2-layer just means clear coat that you can paint over base coat.
When you spray try as thick layers as you dare wihout runs. Should shine. You probably just painted to thin layers of clear and it all becomes matte.

So more clear coat. Polishing on a thin clear coat might eat thru the clear and ruin the metallic effect of base
Yep, It's hard to get right, especially with a silver metallic, Which some people see as the hardest color to paint and get right, Which is nearly impossible to do without the right equipment.

I've now tried it with another clear coat which turned out way glossier and it looks OK (There's a shine in it). Might post some pictures up tonight. The finish of this clear is also a lot smoother than the other one was, the other one felt like sandpaper after I sprayed it on and let it dry. This one feels smooth, Will be polishing it in few weeks (after) Ford Fair, after that put a nice wax on and be happy with it.

Might give it a respray in the future if I still enjoy my Puma. Not going for Moondust Silver then. Might be going for white.. or be creative, suggestions? :p

Let it dry for at least a week or two before polishing. Also be very careful with som eco degreasers. They dissolve 1k clear coat.

Glad you got it better :)

Silver is a bugger, even some pros struggle with it. The dullness I find comes from how thick you lay the clear coat down. I usually go for a couple of thin coats, then one thick coat, trying not to get any runs. But if you do you can usually flat them out a couple of days later. Some rubbing compound and a little polish et voilà!

Well done. Also, having a good look at one of the last pictures, I noticed that your OS door is seating rather low. Same thing happened to my car: is there a way of adjusting the height of the door? I had a good look at it and all I can find is to adjust the lock on B pillar, but not the door itself. Am I missing something?

Rudders666 said:
Whereabouts are you Brian? Fancy a job? Lol
Haha, I'm from the Netherlands. In a place called Naaldwijk (nearby The Hague) xD - Guess that's a bit too far away.

Wild E. Coyote said:
Well done. Also, having a good look at one of the last pictures, I noticed that your OS door is seating rather low. Same thing happened to my car: is there a way of adjusting the height of the door? I had a good look at it and all I can find is to adjust the lock on B pillar, but not the door itself. Am I missing something?
Yeah, already tried getting it a bit higher by adjusting the lock which kind of works but it's still not perfect. Don't know if there's a way to adjust the door itself haven't looking into it, Job for the weekend I guess :D.

Back