Engine cooling fan (High speed) - Error

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-DIY

Put a OBDII tester with the Forscan on the other day.
I got the error code P1479
And it says that "may be caused by defect relay"
So far so good.
So looking in the folder "Roadside emergencies" It's placed in the auxiliary box... Relay R1
The one I have is... 93BG 13A025 A1B
The one Ford gives me is 95BG 8C616 E1B
The only thing they have in common is 5 legs.

So is the Roadside emergencies folder not for my 1.7 - 1998 ?? Meaning is the R1 relay for something ells.
Or is Ford geving me the wrong part ??

Looking forward to any help/reply.... thanks!!

Is this what you have C160 and C161?

The 93BG 13A025 A1B and 95BG 8C616 E1B are just Engineering Part Numbers, usually changed when there is a modification carried out to the part. This is not the same as the Ford Finis number, which generally remains the same, unless there is a large modification. For example, there were much modification carried out to the Heater Control Valve, hence there were many Engineering Part Number and Finis number changes. Generally, with Engineering Part Numbers, the higher the number/letter, the later the part.

Thank you very much Yog
That picture is much more like it.
I've changed the C161 now and tomorrow I have the time to put the Forscan on again.
I better get an error like that sorted before im coming over for the Ford Fair ;-)
Thanks again!!

Could you let us know how you get on with this? :grin:

I also have a P1479 code - my fan is wired and runs as high speed only but the fan works!

Hmmm not much help from me at this point im affraid. Well i've changed the relay C161 and then I had the Forscan on again.
But the error is still there... P1479. I will have a look at it in next week and if I find anything I let you know. Have a nice weekend!!!

You most likely need to replace fan resistor. Finis 1005058. Have a look here: https://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l=bWFya2V0PT1ldXJvfHxjYXRfaWQ9PTExMjE0fHxjYWJicj09R0NDRXx8dGhrPT0zfHxzdD09NjB8fHN0cz09eyIyMCI6IkV1cm9wZSIsIjMwIjoiUHVtYSBDQ0UgMTk5Ny0yMDAxIiwiNDAiOiIzIFBvd2VydHJhaW4iLCI1MCI6IjMwMzAzIFBvd2VydHJhaW4uRW5naW5lIENvb2xpbmciLCI2MCI6IjMwMzAzMTUgUmFkaWF0b3JcL0Nvb2xhbnQgT3ZlcmZsb3cgQ29udGFpbmVyIn18fGFscGhhPT0zfHxncm91cD09MzAzMDN8fHNlY3Q9PTE2MzAwMkFFVkd8fHNldD09QzE3SERFWTMwMzAzfHxpbWc9PUMyMDE5NzAyMDJ8fGYxMj09LTU4NzE3MDI4OCsxMzM%3D

IIRC, it is green thingy at the left bottom corner of engine radiator

Mine fan would operate only at high speed and after replacment it works as it should, ie. in two stages

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]363956[/post] You most likely need to replace fan resistor. Finis 1005058.
Possible, although in that case I expect to see a P1474 - Low Fan Control Primary circuit.

The very first thing is to actually test the operation of the high speed fan.

EDIT - an easy way to test the high speed fan in situ is to hot wire the ballast resistor, like this - https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=347505#p347505 When you put the A/C (air conditioning) on it will then run the fans at full speed, instead of the usual half speed. After testing you just remove the hot-link wire.

Yes, you can directly hotwire the fan to test it or get the engine really, really hot, but you just cannot beat in situ testing to get to the bottom of things. Often, the problem is just a connector and not the component at all.

Thank you very much for your input Sinisa and Frank.
And they pretty much say it all. Electrical errors can be a mess, meaning several things can lead to the same error.
Hopefully I will soon have the time to look at it.
Thanks again!!

Damn I think im in the need of some glases. There aint any ballast resistor on this baby.
Well not near the radiator. And if it has to do with anything there aint a/c on this either.
The fan kicks in after about 5 sec. when the connector is off the temp. gauge.
I got about 14.14V on the fan.
Any other surgestions are more than welcome :roll:

Hi Martin

So you don't have A/C? If not you will have a single speed fan like me... you may only have one plug/connector in the middle of the fan, on the motor.

CherryVimto said:
[post]364016[/post] Hi Martin

So you don't have A/C? If not you will have a single speed fan like me... you may only have one plug/connector in the middle of the fan, on the motor.
Yep, I've written better posts! (I was rushing about that day)

I forgot that not all Pumas have A/C and also that the fan defaults to on when the coolant temp sensor wire is disconnected. :)

Latest posts

Back