Engine feels stalling when releasing clutch

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiiHu

I have problem with my Puma and the clutch/gas pedal. If I try to leave from standing still like I'd do with any other car, it feels like the engine is not getting enough gas and it sounds like it'll stall. Also revs drop too low. This can be fixed by pressing gas pedal more than you normally should but this of course takes also the revs up. Car works fine after this. If the car is already moving, you wont notice anything when pressing clutch, changing gear, releasing clutch and pressing gas. Then it'll rev like it should and doesn't sound like stalling. Also if you press and release clutch when standing still, it works fine; nothing "wrong" happens. Also pressing gas pedal on standing still and while driving works like it should. What can be wrong?

My Puma has done this maybe for a year. I've noticed that when engine is warm, it won't do this as badly as it does when the engine is cold.
I've cleaned MAF multiple times in this time period and also changed the fuel filter. These didn't help at all. Also spark plugs have been changed.

Sounds as though your clutch may be not fully dis-engaging when you press the pedal, causing drag and drop in revs.

Once you are moving you will not notice it as much.

You could try bleeding the clutch see if it helps, if not it may be time for a new clutch :-(

How bleeding the clutch can be done on Puma? Would you maybe have some instructions or good links?

How many hours of work it takes to change the clutch?

To bleed the clutch on the Puma you need to use a pressure bleed kit.
The one I use is a Gunson brand.
The bleed nipple is easy to get to. Just remove the battery and tray and the nipple is on top of the gearbox. you cam do it with the battery in but its easier to see what's what with it out..

As for a clutch change. Its a gearbox out job. Half a day if you know what's you're doing and have all the tools to hand.

Hope this is helpful. Stu..

Okay, big thanks to both! Maybe I consult local garage about the clutch bleeding. If that doesn't help, they can change the clutch. Unfortunately I don't have space or equipment to do neither of these :(

Forgot to post this: I talked to garage regarding this and they said that this propably isn't gearbox by the symptoms I described.

Lately I noticed that if the temperature is under zero, this happens more than if it us plus degrees. I also noticed that if I'm "engine braking" (gear in, not pressing gas) and then push gas pedal a little, car judders kinda like when leaving from standing still. It isn't so noticeable, but noticeable if you know what to expect. So maybe this is something related to the gas pedal or something else like that? Any ideas?

Have you checked that your clutch position switch is still in place above the clutch pedal?

Or maybe look at the throttle position sensor but I can't remember what you can do to check this.

HI, I'm a VERY new puma owner but did you check your injectors anyway?

Since you seem to be thinking clutch, gearbox you could check the engine and gearbox mounts, if they are gubbed they can cause a juddering type experience.

Thanks for answers! Clutch position switch is in place. I would look the throttle position sensor but I have no idea how to test it. I once tried looking volts from it but it seemed ok, but I might have done it wrong of course.

I have no idea how to check injectors. But if the problem would be in them, wouldn't the problem be always, not just when it is cold/engine is cold? I will check the mounts next time the car goes to service, thanks for idea :)

I finally changed TPS, but it made no difference to this problem. But lately car has developed new feature: occasionally when I'm engine braking, revs wont drop almost at all. It is like I'd keep the gas pedal a bit pressed. Could these two problems link together? What would be the best way to analyze if there is something wrong with gas pedal / cable / something?

Car has still done this problem that it feels a bit like stalling when moving from stand-still with 1st gear. But it seems that when it rains or air is very wet, this problem is gone and car runs as smooth as it ever could. So this might have something to do with gasoline/air? Anyone have any suggestions?

Try removing and cleaning the idle speed control valve, if it's at all sticky it'll cause all these issues.

JiiHu said:
Car has still done this problem that it feels a bit like stalling when moving from stand-still with 1st gear. But it seems that when it rains or air is very wet, this problem is gone and car runs as smooth as it ever could. So this might have something to do with gasoline/air? Anyone have any suggestions?

Time to check lambda probe, I'd say...

If you can take it out and then attack with a burning torch and multimeter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2jO0_Cah0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt if it is the lambda sensor. I would get the codes checked. I imagine that you will get P0171 which is lean bank 1, ie the system aided by the lambda sensor is saying that there is too much air and not enough fuel so the ECU compensates by adding fuel and when it gets to a certain level it triggers the 171 fault code, usually without causing any warning light. Solving the problem takes a bit of detective work. It could be an air leak (try spraying quick start on the vacuum hoses and see if the engine speeds up) or the MAF under reading. The other area is insufficient fuel supply - blocked fuel filter or injectors or weak fuel pump.

There are no error codes, I have checked them multiple times. Fuel filter was changed a while ago. I also suspected fuel pump, but the way car gets better on rain, wouldn't seem logical for weak fuel pump or injectors. I just changed coil pack and spark plug cables, but it didn't help. New lambda is on its way on mail, I really hope it would help. If not, I'll try to look for air leak. Thanks for the tip!

Unless you are going to take the exhaust manifold off you will need a special tool to get the lambda sensor out. You could try an old fashioned box spanner with a minimum of 22mm to pass over the connection plug and reach the body of the sensor. You can get a 22mm ring spanner on to the sensor but then you can´t turn it. The proper tool is like a socket but with a slot cut out of it to pass over the sensor wiring.

Latest posts

Back