Engine Issues

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT66

Hmmm, so, after a great day out visiting the Ford meet-up at Squires Café last weekend, my trusty Puma has rewarded me with developing a somewhat odd issue.

Accelerating in 1st or 2nd Gear there is a bit of juddering until things pick up as normal. Accelerating in 3rd Gear upwards isn't an issue, nor is accelerating in 2nd from 15-20mph - it just seems the initial take off in the lower gears brings it on.

My first thought, potentially, was Clutch, but there is no evidence of slippage when accelerating in higher Gears, which I would normally expect. Second thought, as it only really started to happen after a recent re-fuel at a BP Garage (my Puma NEVER has supermarket fuel), was dodgy petrol. Then, driving home tonight, I though I heard a small misfire/backfire, just as the juddering was disappearing.

Has anyone had similar? I'm wondering if it could be Spark Plugs related, but not sure what symptoms a failing Spark Plug would bring on.

Thanks in advance of any advice!

Hi Puma Babe,
In truth, I've not tried anything - just trying to get an idea of any potential costs if it sounds like an expensive fix. In terms of self-fixing, well, let's just say I have a 15 year old cactus on my window-sill - I would think that it probably has more mechanical skills and knowledge than me... and that's embarrassing to admit as I work in a (non-Ford) car main dealership!
Would a MAF Sensor issue would produce idling issues though? Mine sounds OK, from what I can tell from listening tonight (after the possible back-fire). It's certainly a good suggestion, though, so thank you for the heads-up.

MikeT66 said:
[post]356902[/post] In terms of self-fixing, well, let's just say I have a 15 year old cactus on my window-sill - I would think that it probably has more mechanical skills and knowledge than me... and that's embarrassing to admit as I work in a (non-Ford) car main dealership!
If you're not looking to fix this yourself, then take it to the same car dealership and ask them to put an OBD II code reader on it and see if any fault codes are shown.

Once you know that then you'll know what needs fixing and what it will cost.

MikeT66 said:
[post]356902[/post] Would a MAF Sensor issue would produce idling issues though?
Ask the cactus? Yes, a dirty MAF sensor can produce a whole range of symptoms.

Hi Mike
Mine wasn't running 100% right so I checked the MAF and sure enough one of the tiny springs was gummed up so I just gave it a spray of brake cleaner (less than 5 mins work) and it's definitely running better now. Even if it's not this it's worth looking at it just to check.
Barry

Frank said:
MikeT66 said:
[post]356902[/post] Would a MAF Sensor issue would produce idling issues though?
Ask the cactus? Yes, a dirty MAF sensor can produce a whole range of symptoms.

I did, that's what the cactus suggested! :lol:

Thanks, Puma Babe, Frank and Barry - sounds like this is going to be the first option. At least it doesn't sound like it's going to be a £450 Clutch.

theres a 'how to' guide for getting the MAF sensor off on here, it's a bit OTT, (you don't need to remove the air filter box at all)

I'm being shamed into tackling this, I think. :lol: I'll maybe have a look tonight and see what I can do - and report back accordingly. Bearing in mind, however, that my toolkit consists of the following:
1x Hammer (small, for hitting Picture Hooks into walls).
1x pair of Pliers (small, for getting Picture Hooks out of walls).
6x Rawl Plugs (for when the hitting Picture Hooks into walls goes wrong), 3 of which are used.
1x Stanley Knife (blunt - but I'm not trusted with sharp implements).
2x Screwdrivers (one long, one short... but the same size head, so in other words useless).
Some Picture Hooks (of course).
Electric Plug Fuses (some of which may be not blown).
Some WD40 (for when things don't move but should).
Some Electrical Tape (for when things move but shouldn't).

All in all, probably good enough for the A-Team to make a bazooka, so could be enough for me to investigate the MAF Sensor.

Hi Alfie,
Yes, Spark Plugs and Fuel Filter changed in the last couple of years by Ford when serviced. I'd have to check my Service Book to see when exactly. I suppose a Spark Plug can still fail, whatever the age, though.

i would change the ht leads, mine had the same issue and the ht leads cured it, if it was a coil pack it would bring on a engine management light, have you tried having it put on a dianostic machine, they are only £10 on ebay

MikeT66 said:
[post]356918[/post] I'm being shamed into tackling this, I think
Not by me, that's for sure. It's not a crime to not know about cars or have tools, you know.

Your concern is to get your car fixed and fixed cheaply, right? Well, that's what God invented the OBD II (On Board Diagnostics) for, No more stuck in the 80's with mechanics saying 'Sounds like the plugs, etc to me...' and changing them only to find it wasn't that at all. These days we mostly know what will be wrong in advance.

Get a garage to put a code reader on it or better still get your own code reader (if you want to save money and it's a very good idea to have your own) and then it's you telling the mechanic what you want fixed/changed.

As for the MAF sensor, the part that gets cleaned is the thickness of a needle and is so delicate that we clean it with a spray as you can't even wipe it with a cotton bud. You really want to be wading into that before learning about this stuff?

Hi Mike
If you're stuck I have diagnostics + can show you how to clean the MAF but it's a fair old drag for you to the south of Huddersfield.
Barry

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the Forums - it's been a bit hectic at work and I also thought I'd wait until resolving the issue before reporting. I didn't realise there was a very, very kind offer and more informative suggestions on here since - so thank you Barry and Frank.

Car was looked at by Ford in Stockport, who have looked after the car since I got it, (and looked after the KA for the ten years I had it). They've always been very decent and helpful, and I may be old-fashioned but I do like the fact the the company that made my Puma still look after it.

Anyway, as per alfie74's spot-on suggestion, it turned out to be a coil pack. No Engine Management Lights on (well, apart from a few seconds one evening), but the Puma is now sorted and runs sweetly. Alfie74 - to the top of the class, sir!

Thank you once again to all those who offered up ideas - this really is a cracking forum for Puma owners, so a MASSIVE 'Thank You' to all those involved in the running of it and who dedicate their free time to do so.

On another note, I asked Ford to try and re-programme my Key again - after my pathetic attempts failed. It turns out that the Key had basically given up the ghost, so I now have a new Key, too. Oh, the joys of being able to remotely lock/unlock the car again! Such simple pleasures...!

Back